Hello, everyone. Sorry for being late in this thread, I was making sure I didn't say anything outrageously wrong. > That's Stefan; I wouldn't have suggested any approach that uses the > blob whose sole purpose is to serve as a temporary storage area to > pass the information to the hook as part of the permanent record. > Hmm, as far as I understand *this* is the status quo. We get an ephemeral sha1/oid only if you have a hook attached. Otherwise, you will never see the object at all, even if you have --signed set. I suggested preparing this RFC/Patch because of the following reasons (please let me know if my understanding of any of this is wrong...): - I find it weird that the cli allows for a --signed push and nowhere in the receive-pack's feedback you're told if the push certificate is compute/stored/handled at all. I think that, at the latest, receive pack should let the user know whether the signed push succeeded, or if there is no hook attached to handle it. - *if there is a hook* the blob is computed, but it is up to the hook itself to store it *somewhere*. This makes me feel like it's somewhat of a useless waste of computation if the hook is not meant to handle it anyway(which is just a post-receive hook). I find it rather weird that --signed is a builtin flag, and is handled on the server side only partially (just my two cents). - To me, the way push certificates are handled now feels like having git commit -S producing a detached signature that you have to embed somehow in the resulting commit object. (As a matter of fact, many points on [1] seem to back this notion, and even recall some drawbacks on push certificates the way they are handled today) I understand the concurrency concerns, so I agree with stefan's solution, although I don't know how big of a deal it would be, if git already supports --atomic pushes (admittedly, I haven't checked if there are any guards in place for someone who pushes millions of refs atomically). It'd be completely understandable to have a setting to disable hadnling of --signed pushes and, ideally, a way to warn the user of this feature being disabled if --signed is sent. Maybe I'm missing the bigger picture, but to me it feels that a named ref to the latest push certificate would make it easier to handle/tool/sync around the push certificate solution? Thanks, -Santiago. [1] https://public-inbox.org/git/CAJo=hJvWbjEM9E5AjPHgmQ=eY8xf=Q=xtukeu2Ur7auUqeabDg@mail.gmail.com/