Control: clone 873508 -1 Control: retitle -1 Please use cgcc to check hosted C code instead of sparse Control: severity -1 normal Control: reassign -1 horst On Fri, Sep 01, 2017 at 09:46:44AM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote: > @anarcat: Given that cgcc seems to work, would you agree to apply the > following patch to horst: > > diff --git a/Makefile b/Makefile > index 4f924fa..d563652 100644 > --- a/Makefile > +++ b/Makefile > @@ -110,7 +110,7 @@ $(NAME): $(OBJS) > $(OBJS): .buildflags > > check: > - sparse $(CFLAGS) *.[ch] > + cgcc -no-compile $(CFLAGS) *.[ch] > > clean: > -rm -f *.o radiotap/*.o *~ > In the meantime I learned from upstream that sparse is not expected to grok arbitrary hosted code. For that it is needed to use the cgcc wrapper to handle the required cpp symbols. That it works on some architectures with plain sparse is mostly luck. I still expect some platforms to fail with the wrapper, too, because cgcc doesn't know about all platforms yet. But I intend to upload a new sparse package soon that includes a build time check for that, and the respective fixes are easy. > and downgrade the bug to "important"? That would be a compromise that > buys us a bit of time. I'd say sparse failing on hosted code isn't "important", but cgcc should have all necessary definitions for Debian platforms. So I'm keeping this bug at important and intend to close it once all platforms are known to it. Best regards Uwe