From: Miguel Angel Vico <mvicomoya-DDmLM1+adcrQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
To: Manasi Navare <manasi.d.navare-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
Cc: "Jennifer Li" <jenli-hpIqsD4AKlfQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>,
	"Stéphane Marchesin"
	<marcheu-hpIqsD4AKlfQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>,
	"Daniel Vetter" <daniel.vetter-/w4YWyX8dFk@public.gmane.org>,
	"X.Org development"
	<xorg-devel-go0+a7rfsptAfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>,
	dri-devel
	<dri-devel-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW@public.gmane.org>,
	"wayland-devel-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW@public.gmane.org"
	<wayland-devel-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW@public.gmane.org>,
	"Xorg Members List" <members@x.org>,
	"Andres Rodriguez"
	<andresx7-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>,
	events-go0+a7rfsptAfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org,
	"Mesa Dev"
	<mesa-dev-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: XDC 2017 feedback
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:32:20 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi,

In general, I think the organization was great. I agree having
everything happen in a single room was a good point. Here's some of my
personal feedback:

 * I didn't like the tables layout at all. I found it to be extremely
   uncomfortable to have to look sideways in order to see the screens
   and presenter.

 * There were a very few power strips, and not well distributed along
   the tables.

Also, this is what I've been able to gather from some of my colleagues
here at NVIDIA::

 * Some people watching the conference remotely complained about the
   stream quality, and the recordings wouldn't include the presenter.

   In one of the hallway conversations, Martin mentioned in XDC2016
   they had a team of camera experts doing the job, and will try to
   improve that part in future XDC's.

 * The microphone/audio situation wasn't great either.  I don't know
   how practical it is with something the size of XDC, but at Khronos
   meetings, they usually set up microphones for the audience too, with
   tap-on/tap-off switches, and a ratio of 1:2 or 1:3 for
   microphones:people.  That makes Q&A a lot easier.  Alternatively,
   having a question queue rather than running mics around the room can
   speed things up, but makes cross-talk harder.

 * The table/chair layout was really cumbersome. Beyond just the
   orientation, some people had a lot of trouble getting in/out to use
   the restroom, grab snacks, etc.

On a positive note:

 * More time for hallway conversations was in general a good thing.
   Some of us got a ton of useful feedback talking to others.

 * The food was great, and having food on-site gave us even more time
   for hallway-tracking.

 * Surprisingly, parking was not an issue.

 * Signage was good, and the security guards were polite/helpful. It
   was easy to find the room and get our badges.

 * The wifi worked great in general, which is a rarity at conferences.
   It was pretty spotty at XDC 2016.

Thank you.

Miguel