On Wed 2017-09-20 22:08:42, Jacek Anaszewski wrote: > On 09/20/2017 01:29 PM, Pavel Machek wrote: > >>>>> I'd leave the decision to the user. We could add a note to the > >>>>> Documentation/leds/ledtrig-transient.txt that force feedback interface > >>>>> should be preferable choice for driving vibrate devices. > >>>>> However only if following conditions are met: > >>>> > >>>> What I meant is that it is my decision, as a LED subsystem maintainer, > >>>> to accept the addition of a note about some other subsystem offering > >>>> an equivalent or even better substitute of the feature being available > >>>> in the subsystem I am responsible for. And I will accept such a patch > >>>> only if mentioned conditions are met. > >>> > >>> Having the wording in documentation does not in any way stops Android > >>> folks from continuing [ab]using the transient trigger. But this is > >>> their choice. The purpose of documentation is to document the best > >>> practices, not all possible crazy solutions one can come up with. > >> > >> Yes. but if the information has been in place for years, we can't > >> just remove it without giving an instruction on how to use the > >> substitute. > > > > I gave you information how to use the substitute. > > That information was quite vague. I'd like to see a sample application > in tools/input. So please write it. > > I already suggested patch to documentation. If you do the same, maybe > > we can agree on documentation update. > > Your patch was just removing few lines of documentation. I'd expect more > empathic approach to the current users, i.e.: > > - pointer to the sample application in tools/input showing how to > setup gpio driven vibrate device with use of ff interface with > 1kHz vibration frequency. Yes, my patch is removing dangerously misleading documentation about LED subsystem. Please apply it. Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html