On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 09:00:22AM +0200, Simon Horman wrote: > Add fallback compatibility strings for R-Car Gen 1, 2 and 3. > > In the case of Renesas R-Car hardware we know that there are generations of > SoCs, f.e. Gen 1 and 2. But beyond that its not clear what the relationship > between IP blocks might be. For example, I believe that r8a7790 is older > than r8a7791 but that doesn't imply that the latter is a descendant of the > former or vice versa. > > We can, however, by examining the documentation and behaviour of the > hardware at run-time observe that the current driver implementation appears > to be compatible with the IP blocks on SoCs within a given generation. > > For the above reasons and convenience when enabling new SoCs a > per-generation fallback compatibility string scheme is being adopted for > drivers for Renesas SoCs. > > Signed-off-by: Simon Horman > Reviewed-by: Geert Uytterhoeven Acked-by: Wolfram Sang