At 2017-10-20T22:10:55+0000, Don Brace wrote: > > -----Original Message----- > > From: G. Branden Robinson [mailto:g.branden.robinson-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org] > > I made many changes, most of them formatting-related. > > Really appreciate your effort! Thanks! > > There are some issues I was unsure about; I left them in comments: Just FYI, these were as much for Michael Kerrisk's feedback as yours. I'm just a volunteer like most people on the linux-man list, so please don't feel that all of these issues have to be resolved before the page can make it in; Mr. Kerrisk is the gatekeeper. > > To configure Microsemi Smart Family controllers, please refer to the > > controller's User Guide documentation. > > .\" Does this manual have a title? Is it freely available online? > > .\" Does it have a stable URL? Can this information be moved to the SEE > > .\" ALSO section? > > There is currently no User Guide available on-line. The guide should be packaged with > the controller. There is a Documentation/scsi/smartpqi.txt entry. My preference as a committed non-professional sysadmin is to never have to dig up a piece of paper to find out how to configure my hardware. :) > > .\" What is "ioaccel"? This string appears nowhere in man-pages HEAD. > This is a term for RAID volumes. When an I/O request can go directly > to a physical disk bypassing the RAID engine in the controller. This > results in a performance gain. I hope that's restricted to read operations. ;-) > > .\" This example line is too wide for an 80-column TTY. > > .B cat /sys/class/scsi_disk/1:0:3:0/device/ssd_smart_path_enabled > How about: > cd /sys/class/scsi_disk/1:0:3:0/device/ > cat ssd_smart_path_enabled I checked and the original too-wide line is also too wide on troff's PostScript output device, and runs into the page margin. Your solution is one obvious one; another would be to put a shell line-continuation into the example. .IP For example: .in +4n .EX .RB "$ " cat /sys/class/scsi_disk/1:0:3:0/device/\\e .RB "> " ssd_smart_path_enabled 0 .EE .in Which renders as: For example: $ cat /sys/class/scsi_disk/1:0:3:0/device/\ > ssd_smart_path_enabled 0 But with the user input in boldface. > > .SS Supported \f[BI]ioctl\fP\/() operations > > .\" Does this subsection belong here, under .SH FILES ? > I see your point. This should be in a different section. We saw that hpsa.4 had > done the same thing. > > Should this be under NOTES? Yup, I noticed that, too. When Michael K. has a chance to review my suggestions, I'm happy to supply patches to cciss(4) and hpsa(4) to "parallelize" the three. > > And here's one more I just thought of (forest, trees...). > > > > Is "SmartPQI" the correct casing when referring to the product rather > > than the kernel module? > > The driver name is smartpqi, perhaps omitting the SmartPQI or SMARTPQI > would be best for these sections. I have no preference here; I just wanted to make sure the orthography was right. I don't want anyone getting flamed by their trademark lawyer. :D -- Regards, Branden