Hey Phil, (CCing Jean for some additional expertise) > > > In preparation to adding of_i2c_setup_smbus_alert() move > > > i2c_setup_smbus_alert() to core module. of_i2c_setup_smbus_alert() > > > will call i2c_setup_smbus_alert() and this avoid module dependecy issues. > > > > I am not very happy with this but don't want to cause another delay. So, > > I hope we can discuss and fix it incrementally. > > > > From what it does, I really think both setup_alert functions belong > > to i2c-smbus.c. Three possibilities come to my mind (untested, > > though): > > > > a) use try_then_request_module somehow > > > > b) add to CONFIG_I2C something like: select I2C_SMBUS if OF > > > > c) get rid of i2c-smbus.c entirely and move it all into the core > > > > Dunno if a) or b) have been tried in the course of this series > > already? > > > > Nope hadn't tried either a) or b). a) is not something I was aware of. > Had a brief play and not sure how to make this work. This gives me the > same linking problem. Which one? I2C core is built-in and the driver is a module? And i2c-smbus is a module then, too? > A variant of b) was tried by selecting I2C_SMBUS from driver modules > having smbalert support, but that caused problems if the i2c core was > builtin and the driver was a module. But this looks to work for me. It should work(tm). Yet, it will cause overhead, because OF is big these days and I2C_SMBUS is still rare. > A variant of c) with option to exclude the i2c-smbus code still. > Add i2c-smbus to the i2c-core module by: > Change Kconfig I2C_SMBUS to a bool > add i2c-smbus to i2c-core object. > fixup duplicate init_module calls etc. I see. From my side, why not. But I'd really like Jean's opinion here on why i2c-smbus.c was a seperate module and not included in the core. Because I split the I2C core into multiple source files recently, we could have a seperate source file for i2c-smbus-alert without ifdeffery but with some Makefile magic. > Possibly also rename i2c-smbus to i2c-smbus-alert? Why the rename? I thought we put all the code into the core? > Let me know your preference and I'll put something together. Thanks for the assistance. I am afraid we need a bit more discussion first, though. All the best, Wolfram