* Re: Git Open Source Weekend London 11th/12th November
       [not found] <5A0036F7026201F600390334_0_28211@msllnjpmsgsv06>
@ 2017-11-07 19:05 ` Patrick Steinhardt
From: Patrick Steinhardt @ 2017-11-07 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Kleynhans; +Cc: t.gummerer, git, peff

> Hi Patrick,
>
> libgit2 tasks are welcome!  Feel free to bring your ideas
> along.  Also, Peff could add some to the task list if they are
> appropriate for others to participate on.

That's nice. I don't want to populate the list with too much
libgit2 specific things, but we do have a summary at [1] which
highlights a few starters as well as some possibly bigger
projects. I'd be grateful to see that URL mentioned, together
with the fact that there are two core developers present which
are able and happy to help out.

Please let me know whether that's enough for you to work with.

Thanks
Patrick

[1]: https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2/blob/master/PROJECTS.md

> Look forward to seeing you at the event!
>
> Kind regards, Henry
>
> From: ps@pks.im At: 11/05/17 12:42:53
> To: t.gummerer@gmail.com
> Cc: Henry Kleynhans (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON), git@vger.kernel.org, peff@peff.net
> Subject: Re: Git Open Source Weekend London 11th/12th November
>
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2017 at 04:36:24PM +0000, Thomas Gummerer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Bloomberg is hosting an Open Source Weekend in London on the 11th
> > & 12th November 2017 to contribute to the Git project.  We have
> > also confirmed that Peff will be amongst the mentors on hand to
> > guide attendees through their efforts!
> >
> > Some of you may notice that we tried to organize this earlier in the
> > year, but unfortunately had to postpone it.  For this time around we
> > are further along in planning, and it's definitely happening :)
> >
> > For those unfamiliar with Bloomberg Open Source weekends: These
> > events provide a great way for those who love working on code to
> > give back to the community. Come and help make difference to a
> > great project!
> >
> > There will be tasks provided by the mentors, or bring your own if
> > you already have a great idea.  Also if you can't attend the weekend
> > and can think of a project which you would like tackled at this
> > event please let me know.  Obviously the projects should be
> > completable inside a weekend.
> >
> > Normally attendees work in small groups on a specific task to
> > prevent anyone from getting stuck. Per usual, Bloomberg will
> > provide the venue, mentors, snacks and drinks.  Bring your
> > enthusiasm (and your laptop!) and come share in the fun!  The
> > event is also open to everyone, so feel free to pass on the
> > invite!
> >
> > The event is free of charge, but please ensure that you are able
> > to attend the event before registering.  That will greatly help
> > us with accurate numbers for catering so that we don't create
> > unwanted waste!
> >
> > You can register for the event here:
> >
> > https://go.bloomberg.com/attend/invite/git-sprint-hosted-bloomberg/
> >
> > Whether you already are a contributor (as probably most people on
> > this list are) or interested in starting to contribute to git or
> > have some friends that you'd like to get to contribute to git, it
> > would be great to see you at the event.
> >
> > If you have any further questions feel free to get in touch.
> >
> > - Thomas
>
> Hi,
>
> nice to hear, thanks for organizing. Due to having moved to
> London just that week I'd love to take part.
>
> As I'm a core contributor of libgit2, I am interested in bringing
> forward libgit2 at that occasion. Would that be welcome or should
> participants keep strictly to the core git project? Just asking
> as I'd like to take part but have a rather long list of topics
> for libgit2 on my backlog which I'd like to tackle myself.
>
> Regards
> Patrick

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Git Open Source Weekend London 11th/12th November
@ 2017-11-05 12:42 ` Patrick Steinhardt
From: Patrick Steinhardt @ 2017-11-05 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-04 17:15   ` Philip Oakley
From: Philip Oakley @ 2017-11-04 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: "Jeff King" <peff@peff.net>
> [...]
>
>  https://public-inbox.org/git/?q=leftoverbits
>
> Some of those have since been completed, but others are left open.
> There's not really a master list, but it's a potential source for
> digging for gold (well, if you want to call leftover bugs gold :) ).
>
> I started a list over the summer of larger items that people might want
> to pick up. Here it is in no particular order:
>
> - the pager.<cmd> config is mis-designed, because our config keys
>   cannot represent all possible command names (e.g., case folding and
>   illegal characters). This should be pager.<cmd>.enable or similar.
>   Some discussion in (this message and the surrounding thread):
>

> https://public-inbox.org/git/20170711101942.h2uwxtgzvgguzivu@sigill.intra.peff.net/
>
>   But I think you could find more by searching the archive.
>
> - ditto for alias.* config, which has the same syntax problems.
>
> - auto-gc is sometimes over-anxious to run if you have a lot of
>   unreachable loose objects. We should pack unreachables into a single
>   pack. That solves the --auto problem, and is also way more efficient.
>   The catch is expiration. Some discussion here (and especially
>   down-thread):
>

> https://public-inbox.org/git/20170711101942.h2uwxtgzvgguzivu@sigill.intra.peff.net/
>
> - git-config's "--get-color" is unlike all the other types in that it
>   takes a "default" value if the config key isn't set. This makes it
> annoyingly
>   inconsistent, but there's also no way to ask Git to interpret other
>   values (e.g., you might want it to expand "--path" or an "--int"). It
>   would be nice to have a general "--default" option so you could do:
>
>     # same as git config --get-color color.diff.old red
>     git config --default red --color color.diff.old
>
>   or
>
>     # not currently possible to ask git to interpret "10k"
>     git config --default 10k --int some.integer.key
>
> - git's internal config can parse expiration dates (see
>   parse_expiry_date()), but you can't do so from git-config. It should
>   probably have a type for "--expiry-date" (which would of course be
>   more useful with the --default option above).
>
> - there's no efficient way to ask git-config for several keys with a
>   specific type (or even multiple different types).  You can use
>   "--list" to get their strings, but you can't get any interpretation
>   (like colors, integers, etc). Invoking git-config many times can have
>   a noticeable speed impact for a script. There should probably be a
>   "--stdin" mode (or maybe "--get-stdin" if we would one day want to
>   have a "--set-stdin") that takes a list of keys, optional types, and
>   optional defaults (that "--default" again!) and outputs them to
>   stdout.
>

> Those were just sitting on my ideas list. I'm happy to go into more
> detail if anybody's interested in discussing any of them. Some of them
> may be half-baked.
>
> And of course I'd be happy if people wanted to contribute more items to

A few I've seen recently are:

* The provison of a `git resolve -X <ours|theirs> -- <pathspec>` command to
simplify the manual resolution of remaining conflicts.
https://public-inbox.org/git/8737615iu5.fsf@javad.com/  Sergey Organov: How
to re-merge paths differently?

* (Git for Windows/HFS): Detect directory capitalisation changes when
switching branches, and rename them correctly on case preserving, case
insensitive file systems. Optimisation: If the underlying tree is identical
then do not update the modified dates.
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/1333 Chuck Lu: Folder name
should be case sensitive when switch branches.

* (Git for Windows/HFS) (long standing):
detect branch name capitalisation issues
- may need a struct to carry both the filename and pathname down the
different parts of the code base so that the FS name of the requested
ref/heads/ can be checked and warned.
e.g. https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/852 "`git checkout head`
inconsistent behavior"
- ('head' finds 'HEAD', but also 'branch' finds 'Branch');
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/852#issuecomment-239675187 ->
"rambling notes" for partial analysis.

https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/752 "git checkout creating
tracking branch using case-insensitive match?"
- Is this part of the same problem?

* Documentation:

There's always the newby role at the hackathon of collating
all the "what does this command do/mean?" questions that could be resolved
by simple updates, or capturing locally written explanations to improve the
manual pages. (easy patch practice)

Perhaps see how `git rerere` could be better explained and integrated onto
the other man pages so that more folk naturally know of it and use it. (see
also the `git resolve` question above)

Also for case sensitivity documentation
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/908#issuecomment-325116189

--
Philip

* Re: Git Open Source Weekend London 11th/12th November
@ 2017-11-04  9:28 ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2017-11-04  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [...]

   more useful with the --default option above).

 - there's no efficient way to ask git-config for several keys with a
   specific type (or even multiple different types).  You can use
   "--list" to get their strings, but you can't get any interpretation
   (like colors, integers, etc). Invoking git-config many times can have
   a noticeable speed impact for a script. There should probably be a
   "--stdin" mode (or maybe "--get-stdin" if we would one day want to
   have a "--set-stdin") that takes a list of keys, optional types, and
   optional defaults (that "--default" again!) and outputs them to
   stdout.

Those were just sitting on my ideas list. I'm happy to go into more
detail if anybody's interested in discussing any of them. Some of them
may be half-baked.

And of course I'd be happy if people wanted to contribute more items to

-Peff

* Git Open Source Weekend London 11th/12th November
@ 2017-11-01 16:36 Thomas Gummerer