* Changing the tty/UART of busybox
@ 2018-02-28 10:15 Jakob Hasse
From: Jakob Hasse @ 2018-02-28 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto List

Hello,

we need to change the tty on which busybox is sitting. Right now I could
change the UART for the kernel and all program output after the boot to
our favorite UART (via kernel cmd line). But the login promt and all
interaction with the device is still on the old UART. So I guess it's a
busybox configuration issue. Furthermore, when I try tty after login, it
gives me: /dev/ttymxc4 (we want to use ttymx1).

I looked here https://busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html and in
menuconfig for an option to change the UART interface but couldn't find
any. Furthermore I added

|::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttymxc1 115200 vt100 |

and this

|ttymxc1::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttymxc1 115200 vt100|

to inittab to change the UART with no luck.
Could someone here point me to documentation or give me a hint to achive
this?

Thanks in advance, all the Best,
Jakob

--
Jakob Hasse
Software Developement

E: jakob.hasse@smart-home-technology.ch
T: +41 44 552 02 66

Smart Home Technology GmbH
www.smart-home-technology.ch

* Re: Changing the tty/UART of busybox
@ 2018-02-28 13:13 ` Maxin B. John
From: Maxin B. John @ 2018-02-28 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakob Hasse; +Cc: Yocto List

Hi Jakob,

>On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 11:15:42AM +0100, Jakob Hasse wrote:
>
>Hello,
>
>we need to change the tty on which busybox is sitting. Right now I could change
> the UART for the kernel and all program output after the boot to our favorite
> UART (via kernel cmd line). But the login promt and all interaction with the
> device is still on the old UART. So I guess it's a busybox configuration issue.
> Furthermore, when I try tty after login, it gives me: /dev/ttymxc4 (we want to use ttymx1).
>
>I looked here https://busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html and in menuconfig
> for an option to change the UART interface but couldn't find any. Furthermore I added
>
>::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttymxc1 115200 vt100
>
>and this
>
>ttymxc1::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttymxc1 115200 vt100
>
>to inittab to change the UART with no luck.
>Could someone here point me to documentation or give me a hint to achive this?

Generally, the console setting comes from our <machine>.conf. eg:
for beaglebone:
./meta-yocto-bsp/conf/machine/beaglebone-yocto.conf:
SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyO0"

This gets processed in bitbake.conf:
SERIAL_CONSOLES ??= "${@d.getVar('SERIAL_CONSOLE').replace(' ', ';')}"

later, based on the init manager:
busybox, systemd-serialgetty, or sysvinit-inittab use it.

In this case, updating the "<machine>.conf" should help.

>Thanks in advance, all the Best,
>Jakob
>
>--
>Jakob Hasse