Hi! > > Pavel, > > > > I appreciate your efforts of adding support for mc-based devices to > > libv4l. Thanks. > > I guess the main poin that Hans is pointing is that we should take > > extra care in order to avoid adding new symbols to libv4l ABI/API > > without being sure that they'll be needed in long term, as removing > > or changing the API is painful for app developers, and keeping it > > ABI compatible with apps compiled against previous versions of the > > library is very painful for us. > > Indeed. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Aha, ok, no, I did not get that. > > The hole idea is that generic applications shouldn't notice > > if the device is using a mc-based device or not. > > What is needed IMHO is an RFC that explains how you want to solve this > problem, what the parser would look like, how this would configure a > complex pipeline for use with libv4l-using applications, etc. > > I.e., a full design. > > And once everyone agrees that that design is solid, then it needs to be > implemented. > > I really want to work with you on this, but I am not looking for partial > solutions. Well, expecting design to be done for opensource development is a bit unusual :-). I really see two separate tasks 1) support for configuring pipeline. I believe this is best done out of libv4l2. It outputs description file, format below. Currently I have implemented this is in Python. File format is below. 2) support for running libv4l2 on mc-based devices. I'd like to do that. Description file would look like. (# comments would not be not part of file). V4L2MEDIADESC 3 # number of files to open /dev/video2 /dev/video6 /dev/video3 3 # number of controls to map. Controls not mentioned here go to # device 0 automatically. Sorted by control id. # Device 0 00980913 1 009a0003 1 009a000a 2 We can parse that easily without requiring external libraries. Sorted data allow us to do binary search. Best regards, Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html