On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 01:26:23PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote: > On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 9:23 AM, Jaroslav Kysela wrote: > > We have almost everything hidden in the alsa-lib code for the > > applications and there is the protocol versioning, so we can detect the > > changes easily and handle the new fields in the library. > I think we are both misunderstanding each other here, let's try > to work out what changes are required in alsa-lib. The idea of > Baolin's patches that you can simply rebuild alsa-lib (or any other > library using the alsa kernel interface, if any exist) against a new > C library and still have working audio. It's probably also worth mentioning that there are userspaces that don't use alsa-lib at all, at least tinyalsa and salsa (if anyone still uses salsa).