* Bug in vboxguest: After commit Merge tag 'char-misc-4.17-rc3'
@ 2018-05-02 19:37 damian
From: damian @ 2018-05-02 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hdegoede, arnd, gregkh; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello together,

after commit "Merge tag 'char-misc-4.17-rc3' d8a332730e757129e70675679f2b2a03f1ecf65e my virtualbox with Ubuntu 16.04 no longer works correctly.
The focus on a window for example "terminal window" only works very delayed. Or a move of the window with the mouse isnt possible.
I reverted the commit 'd8a332730e757129e70675679f2b2a03f1ecf65e' and now works all normal.

Best regards
Damian

* Re: Bug in vboxguest: After commit Merge tag 'char-misc-4.17-rc3'
@ 2018-05-02 20:03 ` Damian Tometzki
From: Damian Tometzki @ 2018-05-02 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hdegoede, arnd, gregkh; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2018-05-02 20:06 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2018-05-02 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hdegoede, arnd, linux-kernel

On Wed, May 02, 2018 at 09:37:35PM +0200, damian wrote:
> Hello together,
>
> after commit "Merge tag 'char-misc-4.17-rc3' d8a332730e757129e70675679f2b2a03f1ecf65e my virtualbox with Ubuntu 16.04 no longer works correctly.
> The focus on a window for example "terminal window" only works very delayed. Or a move of the window with the mouse isnt possible.
> I reverted the commit 'd8a332730e757129e70675679f2b2a03f1ecf65e' and now works all normal.

Reverting a merge is a pain, can you try looking at the 4 vbox-specific
commits in that merge to find the specific problem?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Bug in vboxguest: After commit Merge tag 'char-misc-4.17-rc3'
@ 2018-05-02 20:46   ` damian
From: damian @ 2018-05-02 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: hdegoede, arnd, linux-kernel

Hello Greg,

it is PATCH 3 virt: vbox: Use __get_free_pages insteas of kmalloc for DMA32 memory.

@ 2018-05-02 21:08     ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2018-05-02 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH, arnd, linux-kernel

Hi,

On 05/02/2018 10:46 PM, damian wrote:
> Hello Greg,
>
> it is PATCH 3 virt: vbox: Use __get_free_pages insteas of kmalloc for DMA32 memory.

Weird. I'm currently on vacation. I will look into this first thing next Monday.

Regards,

Hans

* Re: Bug in vboxguest: After commit Merge tag 'char-misc-4.17-rc3'
@ 2018-05-08 11:42     ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2018-05-08 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH, arnd, linux-kernel

Hi Damian,

On 02-05-18 22:46, damian wrote:
> Hello Greg,
>
> it is PATCH 3 virt: vbox: Use __get_free_pages insteas of kmalloc for DMA32 memory.

Thank you for the bug report, I've tried to reproduce this problem
but for me everything works fine.

Does your virtual-machine have more then 4G of RAM configured for its
use?  If yes then what is likely happening is that you also have
the out-of-tree version of the vboxguest modules installed and prior
to the commit in question the out of tree version of the driver is
mainline kernel fails to load on machines with more then 4G.

Or alternatively before the commit in question you may not have
any version of the vboxguest driver loaded.

Using the upstream version of the driver should not make a noticeable
difference, but before the vboxguest driver became a part of the
mainline kernel the virtualbox upstream developers have done a
cleanup / redesign of the userspace API of the vboxguest driver,
so the vboxguest driver will only work with recent virtualbox-guest-additions
and since you are using Ubuntu 16.04 chances are that you are
using that with Ubuntu's quite old bundled virtualbox-guest-additions
which will not work with the new driver and may be causing this
issue.

Can you try upgrading your virtualbox-guest-additions to 5.2.10
please?

Also if the above does not help, a couple of follow up
questions to help this pin down further:

1) Are you using vbox's 3d pass through functionality
2) Which desktop-environment are you using?

Regards,

Hans

* Re: Bug in vboxguest: After commit Merge tag 'char-misc-4.17-rc3'
@ 2018-05-08 19:41       ` damian
From: damian @ 2018-05-08 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans de Goede; +Cc: gregkh, arnd, linux-kernel

On Tue, 08. May 13:42, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi Damian,
>
> On 02-05-18 22:46, damian wrote:
> >Hello Greg,
> >
> >it is PATCH 3 virt: vbox: Use __get_free_pages insteas of kmalloc for DMA32 memory.
>
> Thank you for the bug report, I've tried to reproduce this problem
> but for me everything works fine.
>
> Does your virtual-machine have more then 4G of RAM configured for its
> use?  If yes then what is likely happening is that you also have
> the out-of-tree version of the vboxguest modules installed and prior
> to the commit in question the out of tree version of the driver is
> mainline kernel fails to load on machines with more then 4G.
>
> Or alternatively before the commit in question you may not have
> any version of the vboxguest driver loaded.
>
> Using the upstream version of the driver should not make a noticeable
> difference, but before the vboxguest driver became a part of the
> mainline kernel the virtualbox upstream developers have done a
> cleanup / redesign of the userspace API of the vboxguest driver,
> so the vboxguest driver will only work with recent virtualbox-guest-additions
> and since you are using Ubuntu 16.04 chances are that you are
> using that with Ubuntu's quite old bundled virtualbox-guest-additions
> which will not work with the new driver and may be causing this
> issue.
>
> Can you try upgrading your virtualbox-guest-additions to 5.2.10
> please?
>
> Also if the above does not help, a couple of follow up
> questions to help this pin down further:
>
> 1) Are you using vbox's 3d pass through functionality
> 2) Which desktop-environment are you using?
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

Hi Hans,

i will check my configutation and will come back
At the moment i dont use use the virtualbox-guest-additions, i use the driver from the staging area.

because i had after every new kernel release problms with this driver.

@ 2018-05-09  7:36         ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2018-05-09  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gregkh, arnd, linux-kernel

Hi,

On 08-05-18 21:41, damian wrote:
> On Tue, 08. May 13:42, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi Damian,
>>
>> On 02-05-18 22:46, damian wrote:
>>> Hello Greg,
>>>
>>> it is PATCH 3 virt: vbox: Use __get_free_pages insteas of kmalloc for DMA32 memory.
>>
>> Thank you for the bug report, I've tried to reproduce this problem
>> but for me everything works fine.
>>
>> Does your virtual-machine have more then 4G of RAM configured for its
>> use?  If yes then what is likely happening is that you also have
>> the out-of-tree version of the vboxguest modules installed and prior
>> to the commit in question the out of tree version of the driver is
>> mainline kernel fails to load on machines with more then 4G.
>>
>> Or alternatively before the commit in question you may not have
>> any version of the vboxguest driver loaded.
>>
>> Using the upstream version of the driver should not make a noticeable
>> difference, but before the vboxguest driver became a part of the
>> mainline kernel the virtualbox upstream developers have done a
>> cleanup / redesign of the userspace API of the vboxguest driver,
>> so the vboxguest driver will only work with recent virtualbox-guest-additions
>> and since you are using Ubuntu 16.04 chances are that you are
>> using that with Ubuntu's quite old bundled virtualbox-guest-additions
>> which will not work with the new driver and may be causing this
>> issue.
>>
>> Can you try upgrading your virtualbox-guest-additions to 5.2.10
>> please?
>>
>> Also if the above does not help, a couple of follow up
>> questions to help this pin down further:
>>
>> 1) Are you using vbox's 3d pass through functionality
>> 2) Which desktop-environment are you using?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hans
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> i will check my configutation and will come back
> At the moment i dont use use the virtualbox-guest-additions, i use the driver from the staging area.

Ah I see, you may still have the Ubuntu pkg for them installed though,
which may be an old version which actually starts to try and do stuff
now that there is a vboxguest driver in mainline too, but that old
version does not support the new, stable API as merged into the
mainline.

So if you don't care about the add-ons instead of upgrading yopu
can also remove the Ubuntu pkg for them.

Regards,

Hans

* Re: Bug in vboxguest: After commit Merge tag 'char-misc-4.17-rc3'
@ 2018-05-09 20:18           ` damian
From: damian @ 2018-05-09 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans de Goede; +Cc: gregkh, arnd, linux-kernel

On Wed, 09. May 09:36, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08-05-18 21:41, damian wrote:
> >On Tue, 08. May 13:42, Hans de Goede wrote:
> >>Hi Damian,

> >>Thank you for the bug report, I've tried to reproduce this problem
> >>but for me everything works fine.
> >>
> >>Does your virtual-machine have more then 4G of RAM configured for its
> >>use?  If yes then what is likely happening is that you also have
> >>the out-of-tree version of the vboxguest modules installed and prior
> >>to the commit in question the out of tree version of the driver is
> >>mainline kernel fails to load on machines with more then 4G.
> >>
> >>Or alternatively before the commit in question you may not have
> >>any version of the vboxguest driver loaded.
> >>
> >>Using the upstream version of the driver should not make a noticeable
> >>difference, but before the vboxguest driver became a part of the
> >>mainline kernel the virtualbox upstream developers have done a
> >>cleanup / redesign of the userspace API of the vboxguest driver,
> >>so the vboxguest driver will only work with recent virtualbox-guest-additions
> >>and since you are using Ubuntu 16.04 chances are that you are
> >>using that with Ubuntu's quite old bundled virtualbox-guest-additions
> >>which will not work with the new driver and may be causing this
> >>issue.
> >>
> >>Can you try upgrading your virtualbox-guest-additions to 5.2.10
> >>please?
> >>
> >>Also if the above does not help, a couple of follow up
> >>questions to help this pin down further:
> >>
> >>1) Are you using vbox's 3d pass through functionality
> >>2) Which desktop-environment are you using?
> >>
> >>Regards,
> >>
> >>Hans
> >
> >Hi Hans,
> >
> >i will check my configutation and will come back
> >At the moment i dont use use the virtualbox-guest-additions, i use the driver from the staging area.
>
> Ah I see, you may still have the Ubuntu pkg for them installed though,
> which may be an old version which actually starts to try and do stuff
> now that there is a vboxguest driver in mainline too, but that old
> version does not support the new, stable API as merged into the
> mainline.
>
> So if you don't care about the add-ons instead of upgrading yopu
> can also remove the Ubuntu pkg for them.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

Hello Hans,

the reason why i dont use the virtual-guest-additions from virtualbox is the following with kernel 4.14rc4:

there are changes in the kernel and this need time to fix in virtualbox.

  CC [M]  /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbva_base.o
/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbox_ttm.c: In Funktion »vbox_ttm_tt_create«:
/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbox_ttm.c:219:22: Fehler: Übergabe des Arguments 2 von »ttm_tt_init« von inkompatiblem Zeigertyp [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  if (ttm_tt_init(tt, bdev, size, page_flags, dummy_read_page)) {
                      ^~~~
In file included from /home/damian/kernel/linux/include/drm/ttm/ttm_bo_driver.h:45,
                 from /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbox_drv.h:69,
                 from /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbox_ttm.c:31:
/home/damian/kernel/linux/include/drm/ttm/ttm_tt.h:161:63: Anmerkung: »struct ttm_buffer_object *« erwartet, aber Argument hat Typ »struct ttm_bo_device *«
 int ttm_tt_init(struct ttm_tt *ttm, struct ttm_buffer_object *bo,
                                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~
/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbox_ttm.c:219:6: Fehler: zu viele Argumente für Funktion »ttm_tt_init«
  if (ttm_tt_init(tt, bdev, size, page_flags, dummy_read_page)) {
      ^~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /home/damian/kernel/linux/include/drm/ttm/ttm_bo_driver.h:45,
                 from /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbox_drv.h:69,
                 from /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbox_ttm.c:31:
/home/damian/kernel/linux/include/drm/ttm/ttm_tt.h:161:5: Anmerkung: hier deklariert

@ 2018-05-09 20:20             ` damian
From: damian @ 2018-05-09 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans de Goede, gregkh, arnd, linux-kernel

On Wed, 09. May 22:18, damian wrote:
> On Wed, 09. May 09:36, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Hi,

> > >Hi Hans,
> > >
> > >i will check my configutation and will come back
> > >At the moment i dont use use the virtualbox-guest-additions, i use the driver from the staging area.
> >
> > Ah I see, you may still have the Ubuntu pkg for them installed though,
> > which may be an old version which actually starts to try and do stuff
> > now that there is a vboxguest driver in mainline too, but that old
> > version does not support the new, stable API as merged into the
> > mainline.
> >
> > So if you don't care about the add-ons instead of upgrading yopu
> > can also remove the Ubuntu pkg for them.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hans
>
> Hello Hans,
>
> the reason why i dont use the virtual-guest-additions from virtualbox is the following with kernel 4.14rc4:
>
> there are changes in the kernel and this need time to fix in virtualbox.
>

>   CC [M]  /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbva_base.o
> /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbox_ttm.c: In Funktion »vbox_ttm_tt_create«:
> /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbox_ttm.c:219:22: Fehler: Übergabe des Arguments 2 von »ttm_tt_init« von inkompatiblem Zeigertyp [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
>   if (ttm_tt_init(tt, bdev, size, page_flags, dummy_read_page)) {
>                       ^~~~
> In file included from /home/damian/kernel/linux/include/drm/ttm/ttm_bo_driver.h:45,
>                  from /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbox_drv.h:69,
>                  from /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbox_ttm.c:31:
> /home/damian/kernel/linux/include/drm/ttm/ttm_tt.h:161:63: Anmerkung: »struct ttm_buffer_object *« erwartet, aber Argument hat Typ »struct ttm_bo_device *«
>  int ttm_tt_init(struct ttm_tt *ttm, struct ttm_buffer_object *bo,
>                                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~
> /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbox_ttm.c:219:6: Fehler: zu viele Argumente für Funktion »ttm_tt_init«
>   if (ttm_tt_init(tt, bdev, size, page_flags, dummy_read_page)) {
>       ^~~~~~~~~~~
> In file included from /home/damian/kernel/linux/include/drm/ttm/ttm_bo_driver.h:45,
>                  from /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbox_drv.h:69,
>                  from /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.97/src/vboxguest-5.2.97/vboxvideo/vbox_ttm.c:31:
> /home/damian/kernel/linux/include/drm/ttm/ttm_tt.h:161:5: Anmerkung: hier deklariert
>  int ttm_tt_init(struct ttm_tt *ttm, struct ttm_buffer_object *bo,
>
> Best regards
> Damian

Sorry I mean Kernel 4.17rc4 :-)

Damian