Hi! > > > (*) I have those in mind: > > > > > > Nokia N900: The phone has GPS integrated into the modem and uses > > > ISI encapsulated data. The protocol has been reverse engineered > > > and it should be possible to write a kernel driver for handling > > > the GPS packets and dumping the raw data to /dev/gnss0. I don't > > > think this is particularly useful without a non-raw interface, > > > though. It would still require a custom userspace implementation. > > > > Actually... in this case it would be nice to do the protocol > > processing in kernel and just present reasonable interface to > > userland... or maybe NMEA. > > Converting a binary protocol to NMEA, which needs to be string > parsed is not very nice. I think first step would be to write a > simple driver, which exposes the binary location protocol without > ISI header. Then in a second step we can think about a reasonable > interface, that should be supported by all GNSS devices. Well, most of the userspace expects NMEA. So yes, its an ugly protocol, but .. it is not really a high-performance device. I'd suggest modeling this over input subsystem. We could use similar tag/value/sync protocol (evdev). In similar way /dev/input/mice was used for running legacy apps during transition, we'd have /dev/...//nmea. > > > Droid 4: GPS is similar to N900, but different protocol and QMI > > > encapsulated. This one also has known protocol with userspace > > > implementation. I did not yet have a detailed look, if its possible > > > to (un)wrap this in the kernel. > > > > So, this is actually NMEA over QMI. I do have patches libqmi that > > provides NMEA on stdout. > > Ok. So raw data is NMEA for this one. Should be reasonably easy to > write a driver exposing this via /dev/gnss device. If we have qmi implementation somewhere in kernel. Do we? > > But there seems to be another possibile interface (yes, that modem is > > crazy, and you can talk to it over few different interfaces), and > > that's NMEA over GSM07.10. That one should be feasible to decode in > > kernel and just provide NMEA to userland. > > I think both should be feasible. I suggest to wait a bit more > until you and Tony figured out some more details. You've got > the libqmi patch as workaround for now and we want a stable API > later. I do have the gsm07.10 one now, too. That one is certainly simple enough (and should eat less power -- no need to keep USB running). Best regards, Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html