On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 06:10:37PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote: > According to the documentation, p.43 [1], I think offset $01 should always > contain either "GEM", "BGM" or "XGM". They don't seem to be optional. The Atari partitioning tables are also used on the Q40/Q60 which breaks many some assumptions.. no GEM here but instead one of two Q40 specific types such as "QWA" or "QBD" in the first slot. BTW I have never seen a low-case or camel-case string in this place, this should be also used. > I guess adding those to atari_probe() should help improve the detection > quite a bit. But I would have to test that first. It would, however I am not sure what happens if a hard disk is repurposed from Atari to PC or the other way around partitioning. There may be some strings or other data left which could be misinterpreted. > >I think I will at least move atari to be probed after all other labels > >have failed. in principle both should be probed, prompting user action if both find something. They could also return a "score" - based on number of partitions recognised, their sizes and other info to give a hint which one is likely a non-random hit. Richard -- Name and OpenPGP keys available from pgp key servers