* Process for removing __rte_experimental
@ 2018-05-25  9:35 Shreyansh Jain
From: Shreyansh Jain @ 2018-05-25  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: Ferruh Yigit, Thomas Monjalon, bluca, nhorman

While reading through [1], I couldn't understand if __rte_experimental
and EXPERIMENTAL tag removed from code and map file, respectively, are
categorized under ABI breakage or not. Thus, whether deprecation for
them should be sent or not in a release cycle for removal in subsequent
release.

Logically, EXPERIMENTAL APIs are not part of stable APIs/ABIs and hence
they don't really break an ABI. Thus, deprecation for them doesn't make
sense. (or, as Luca noted on IRC, removing experimental is like
de-deprecation :) )

On IRC, Luca pointed out that in one of the Tech Board meeting minutes
[2], this was recorded but that too has slight ambiguity to it.

Any thoughts on this? Or, was this documented somewhere other than [1]?

[1] http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/contributing/versioning.html
[2] https://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2017-October/079961.html (Section 2-b)

* Re: Process for removing __rte_experimental
@ 2018-05-25  9:49 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2018-05-25  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shreyansh Jain; +Cc: dev, Ferruh Yigit, bluca, nhorman

25/05/2018 11:35, Shreyansh Jain:
> While reading through [1], I couldn't understand if __rte_experimental
> and EXPERIMENTAL tag removed from code and map file, respectively, are
> categorized under ABI breakage or not. Thus, whether deprecation for
> them should be sent or not in a release cycle for removal in subsequent
> release.
>
> Logically, EXPERIMENTAL APIs are not part of stable APIs/ABIs and hence
> they don't really break an ABI. Thus, deprecation for them doesn't make
> sense. (or, as Luca noted on IRC, removing experimental is like
> de-deprecation :) )

I agree, no need for prior notice, in my opinion.

@ 2018-05-25 10:17   ` Luca Boccassi
From: Luca Boccassi @ 2018-05-25 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Shreyansh Jain; +Cc: dev, Ferruh Yigit, nhorman

On Fri, 2018-05-25 at 11:49 +0200, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 25/05/2018 11:35, Shreyansh Jain:
> > While reading through [1], I couldn't understand if
> > __rte_experimental
> > and EXPERIMENTAL tag removed from code and map file, respectively,
> > are
> > categorized under ABI breakage or not. Thus, whether deprecation
> > for
> > them should be sent or not in a release cycle for removal in
> > subsequent
> > release.
> >
> > Logically, EXPERIMENTAL APIs are not part of stable APIs/ABIs and
> > hence
> > they don't really break an ABI. Thus, deprecation for them doesn't
> > make
> > sense. (or, as Luca noted on IRC, removing experimental is like
> > de-deprecation :) )
>
> I agree, no need for prior notice, in my opinion.

Yeah that makes sense for me as well.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi

* Re: Process for removing __rte_experimental
@ 2018-05-25 11:16     ` Shreyansh Jain
From: Shreyansh Jain @ 2018-05-25 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Fri, 2018-05-25 at 11:49 +0200, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> > 25/05/2018 11:35, Shreyansh Jain:
> > > While reading through [1], I couldn't understand if
> > > __rte_experimental
> > > and EXPERIMENTAL tag removed from code and map file, respectively,
> > > are
> > > categorized under ABI breakage or not. Thus, whether deprecation
> > > for
> > > them should be sent or not in a release cycle for removal in
> > > subsequent
> > > release.
> > >
> > > Logically, EXPERIMENTAL APIs are not part of stable APIs/ABIs and
> > > hence
> > > they don't really break an ABI. Thus, deprecation for them doesn't
> > > make
> > > sense. (or, as Luca noted on IRC, removing experimental is like
> > > de-deprecation :) )
> >
> > I agree, no need for prior notice, in my opinion.
>
> Yeah that makes sense for me as well.

[...]

Ok. I will send across a small documentation edit for this clarification.

* Re: Process for removing __rte_experimental
@ 2018-05-25 11:23 ` Neil Horman
From: Neil Horman @ 2018-05-25 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shreyansh Jain; +Cc: dev, Ferruh Yigit, Thomas Monjalon, bluca

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 03:05:34PM +0530, Shreyansh Jain wrote:
> While reading through [1], I couldn't understand if __rte_experimental and
> EXPERIMENTAL tag removed from code and map file, respectively, are
> categorized under ABI breakage or not. Thus, whether deprecation for them
> should be sent or not in a release cycle for removal in subsequent release.
>
> Logically, EXPERIMENTAL APIs are not part of stable APIs/ABIs and hence they
> don't really break an ABI. Thus, deprecation for them doesn't make sense.
> (or, as Luca noted on IRC, removing experimental is like de-deprecation :) )
>
> On IRC, Luca pointed out that in one of the Tech Board meeting minutes [2],
> this was recorded but that too has slight ambiguity to it.
>
> Any thoughts on this? Or, was this documented somewhere other than [1]?
>
> [1] http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/contributing/versioning.html
> [2] https://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2017-October/079961.html (Section 2-b)

Concur with Thomas and Luca.  Use of __rte_experimental denotes APIs that are
not bound by ABI requirements.  Removing the experimental tag is,as you say
de-deprication.