On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 10:30:27PM +0100, Al Viro wrote: > I'm not saying that blocking on other things is a bug; some of such *are* bogus, > but a lot aren't really broken. What I said is that in a lot of cases we really > have hard "no blocking other than in callback" (and on subsequent passes there's > no callback at all). Which is just about perfect for AIO purposes, so *IF* we > go for "new method just for AIO, those who don't have it can take a hike", we might > as well indicate that "can take a hike" in some way (be it opt-in or opt-out) and > use straight unchanged ->poll(), with alternative callback. PS: one way of doing that would be to steal a flag from pt->_key and have ->poll() instances do an equivalent of if (flags & LOOKUP_RCU) return -ECHILD; we have in a lot of ->d_revalidate() instances for "need to block" case. Only here they would've returned EPOLLNVAL. Most of the ->poll() instances wouldn't care at all - they do not block unless the callback does (and in this case it wouldn't have). Normal poll(2)/select(2) are completely unaffected. And AIO would just have that bit set in its poll_table_struct. The rules for drivers change only in one respect - if your ->poll() is going to need to block, check poll_requested_events(pt) & EPOLL_ATOMIC and return EPOLLNVAL in such case.