On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 08:42:05AM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote: > Peter Maydell writes: > > > On 17 July 2018 at 20:50, Eduardo Habkost wrote: > Instead, we've repeatedly wasted time on debating which kind of ugly we > hate less, and all we can show for our troubles is CODING_STYLE. Which > leaves a whole lot more questions open than it answers, so we can keep > enjoying style debates. > > That the code shows anything resembling consistency at all is a > testament to humanity's yearning for order within a chaotic world. Going back to something concrete after this nice philosophical musing: The coding style checker (checkpatch.pl) seems like a huge success to me. Without it, achieving consistency is futile. checkpatch.pl defines the true coding style of QEMU - the subset that can be automatically checked by patchew. If we want to follow a coding style, implementing the rules in checkpatch.pl is important. (Though I'll be the first to admit that checkpatch.pl has many limitations.) Stefan