On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 07:01:53PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote: > On 25 July 2018 at 09:59, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote: > > From: Su Hang > > > > This patch adds Intel Hexadecimal Object File format support to the > > loader. The file format specification is available here: > > http://www.piclist.com/techref/fileext/hex/intel.htm > > > > This file format is often used with microcontrollers such as the > > micro:bit, Arduino, STM32, etc. Users expect to be able to run them > > directly with qemu -kernel program.hex instead of converting to ELF or > > binary. > > I'm still not convinced we want to add another random > special case only-works-on-one-architecture-and-some-boards > feature to the -kernel command line option. > > Adding it to the "generic loader" device might be more plausible? I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the generic loader. As a user -kernel is easier than -device loader,file=,cpu-num=1. Can you explain the advantage to moving hex file loading to the generic loader? Stefan