On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 09:58:58AM +0000, Duncan wrote: > Cerem Cem ASLAN posted on Wed, 29 Aug 2018 09:58:21 +0300 as excerpted: > > > Thinking again, this is totally acceptable. If the requirement was a > > good health disk, then I think I must check the disk health by myself. > > I may believe that the disk is in a good state, or make a quick test or > > make some very detailed tests to be sure. > > For testing you might try badblocks. It's most useful on a device that > doesn't have a filesystem on it you're trying to save, so you can use the > -w write-test option. See the manpage for details. > > The -w option should force the device to remap bad blocks where it can as > well, and you can take your previous smartctl read and compare it to a > new one after the test. > > Hint if testing multiple spinning-rust devices: Try running multiple > tests at once. While this might have been slower on old EIDE, at least > with spinning rust, on SATA and similar you should be able to test > multiple devices at once without them slowing down significantly, because > the bottleneck is the spinning rust, not the bus, controller or CPU. I > used badblocks years ago to test my new disks before setting up mdraid on > them, and with full disk tests on spinning rust taking (at the time) > nearly a day a pass and four passes for the -w test, the multiple tests > at once trick saved me quite a bit of time! Hah. Only a day? It's up to 2 days now. The devices get bigger. The interfaces don't get faster at the same rate. Back in the late '90s, it was only an hour or so to run a badblocks pass on a big disk... Hugo. -- Hugo Mills | Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. hugo@... carfax.org.uk | http://carfax.org.uk/ | PGP: E2AB1DE4 |