On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 10:39:02AM -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote: > Hi, > > brian m. carlson wrote: > > > I think this commit message makes sense. I apparently still fail to > > understand how the .mailmap format works, so I can't tell you if the > > patch is correct. > > Thanks for looking it over. What would it take to make the patch make > sense, too? ;-) I certainly didn't mean to imply a failing on your part for explaining the change adequately. I've just always found the format confusing and I know others do, too. > Most mailmap entries are of the form > > Some Name > > which means "Wherever you see the email address someemail@example.com, > canonicalize the author's name to Some Name". We can use that: > > brian m. carlson > > When we see sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx, we also want to > canonicalize the email address. For that, we can do > > brian m. carlson > > There's only one person who has used these email addresses, so we > don't have to do matching by name. If we wanted to tighten the name > normalization to match by name, I think we'd do something like > > brian m. carlson Brian M. Carlson > > but I can't get that to seem to have any effect when I test with the > "git check-mailmap" command --- for example, "git check-mailmap 'Dana > How '" does not map and "git check-mailmap > 'Random Name '" maps to 'Dana L. How > '. > > The even tighter matching used in v1 > > brian m. carlson Brian M. Carlson > > does work, but it's unnecessary complexity. We don't need it. This has been a really helpful explanation. Thanks. Maybe I'll have some time over the next week or so to send a patch to the documentation to make it more understandable to past me. > How about this? > > Changes since v1: > - loosened the matching to only look at email and ignore name > - no other changes > > .mailmap | 2 +- > 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-) > > diff --git a/.mailmap b/.mailmap > index f165222a78..bef3352b0d 100644 > --- a/.mailmap > +++ b/.mailmap > @@ -25,7 +25,7 @@ Ben Walton > Benoit Sigoure > Bernt Hansen > Brandon Casey > -brian m. carlson Brian M. Carlson > +brian m. carlson > brian m. carlson > Bryan Larsen > Bryan Larsen Having read your explanation, this looks good. Thanks for fixing this. -- brian m. carlson: Houston, Texas, US OpenPGP: https://keybase.io/bk2204