On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 03:29:06AM -0600, Jan Beulich wrote: > >>> On 07.10.18 at 03:04, wrote: > > I'd like to propose backporting GCC7/8 fixes to all stable branches. Below > > is a list up to stable-4.6, but some of the patches are already on > > select branches (developed during that release cycle, or already > > backported). > > I continue to be opposed to backporting anything that is not needed > for dealing security issues to branches which are in security-support- > only mode, i.e. anything older than 4.8 at this point in time. Ok, noted. It's hard to compile those still security-supported versions on recent systems. But if one need such combination (old Xen + new other things), then can also apply those patches locally. I just wanted to reduce work duplication. > Furthermore I notice that 4.6 has just moved out of security support, > at the end of last week. Hmm, 18+18 months from October 13, 2015 is at the end of this week. > > e0a97098e2 x86: fix section type mismatch in mm.c > > This describes itself as a Clang fix - has it become relevant for > gcc now too? Yes, for gcc 8.1 at least. > Anyway - this has been in even the original 4.7.0, > so as per above not a candidate for any actively maintained > branch. > > > # This one doesn't apply cleanly, because acpi stuff moved > > # tools/firmware/hvmloader/acpi -> tools/acpi > > 858dbaaeda libacpi: fixes for iasl >= 20180427 > > Iirc I've applied this back to 4.8 already, and quite some time ago. Yes, this one is missing only in 4.7 and 4.6. -- Best Regards, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki Invisible Things Lab A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?