On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 08:19:42AM -0600, minyard@acm.org wrote: > The code was using the qemu UUID for the BMC. But that's really > not a good method. In general, you don't want the GUID to change > when you migrate, and you want the GUID to be the same between > invocations of qemu (if you have a GUID). Hrm. Generally the qemu UUID should remain the same across a migration too, and I think that will be the case if using libvirt. Maybe not if running qemu by hand and not specifying the uuid on the command line. I don't really have an objection to allowing the BMC's id to be explicitly controlled, but the rationale above seems a bit disingenuous. > Plus, if you have multiple BMCs, they need to have different > GUIDs or the host code cannot tell them apart. I'm not sure > anyone really uses multiple BMCs, but I do a lot of testing > with that scenario. > > This change lets the user set the GUID on the command line, and > if the GUID is not set return an error for the GUID fetch command. > This maps better to how IPMI should work. > > This change relies on the UUID being set to all zeros to know that > it is not set. This is not optimal, perhaps, but an all zero > UUID isn't valid (it's the Nil UUID), so it should be ok. -- David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_ | _way_ _around_! http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson