* [BUG] USB: atm: Licensing conflict
@ 2019-01-18 10:53 Thomas Gleixner
From: Thomas Gleixner @ 2019-01-18 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: LKML, Kate Stewart

The addition of SPDX identifiers to the USB subsystem introduced a license
conflict. The driver is dual licensed under GPL v2 and BSD 2 clause
according to the license texts in the file. But even the GPL v2 licensing
of this driver is ambiguous:

 * This software is available to you under a choice of one of two
 * licenses. You may choose to be licensed under the terms of the GNU
 * General Public License (GPL) Version 2, available from the file
 * COPYING in the main directory of this source tree, or the

This points to the kernel license which is GPL v2 only.

 * BSD license below:
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice [unmodified], this list of conditions, and the following
 *    disclaimer.
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
 * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
 * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
 * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
 * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
 * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
 * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
 * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
 * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
 * SUCH DAMAGE.

This is clearly a BSD 2 Clause license and not BSD 3 Clause

 * GPL license :
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
 * as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
 * of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

And here the license is GPL V2 or later.

Some detective work is due ...

Thanks,

	tglx

* Re: [BUG] USB: atm: Licensing conflict
@ 2019-01-21  8:01 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2019-01-21  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Gleixner; +Cc: LKML, Kate Stewart

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 11:53:18AM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> The addition of SPDX identifiers to the USB subsystem introduced a license
> conflict. The driver is dual licensed under GPL v2 and BSD 2 clause
> according to the license texts in the file. But even the GPL v2 licensing
> of this driver is ambiguous:
>
>  * This software is available to you under a choice of one of two
>  * licenses. You may choose to be licensed under the terms of the GNU
>  * General Public License (GPL) Version 2, available from the file
>  * COPYING in the main directory of this source tree, or the
>
> This points to the kernel license which is GPL v2 only.
>
>  * BSD license below:
>  *
>  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>  * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
>  * are met:
>  * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>  *    notice [unmodified], this list of conditions, and the following
>  *    disclaimer.
>  * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>  *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>  *
>  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
>  * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
>  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
>  * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
>  * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
>  * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
>  * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
>  * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
>  * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
>  * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
>  * SUCH DAMAGE.
>
> This is clearly a BSD 2 Clause license and not BSD 3 Clause
>
>  * GPL license :
>  * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
>  * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
>  * as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
>  * of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>
> And here the license is GPL V2 or later.
>
> Some detective work is due ...

Yes, this is on my todo list to fix up, thanks for reminding me of the
problems here.

greg k-h

@ 2019-05-24  8:31 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2019-05-24  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Gleixner; +Cc: LKML, Kate Stewart

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 11:53:18AM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> The addition of SPDX identifiers to the USB subsystem introduced a license
> conflict. The driver is dual licensed under GPL v2 and BSD 2 clause
> according to the license texts in the file. But even the GPL v2 licensing
> of this driver is ambiguous:
>
>  * This software is available to you under a choice of one of two
>  * licenses. You may choose to be licensed under the terms of the GNU
>  * General Public License (GPL) Version 2, available from the file
>  * COPYING in the main directory of this source tree, or the
>
> This points to the kernel license which is GPL v2 only.
>
>  * BSD license below:
>  *
>  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>  * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
>  * are met:
>  * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>  *    notice [unmodified], this list of conditions, and the following
>  *    disclaimer.
>  * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>  *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>  *
>  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
>  * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
>  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
>  * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
>  * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
>  * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
>  * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
>  * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
>  * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
>  * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
>  * SUCH DAMAGE.
>
> This is clearly a BSD 2 Clause license and not BSD 3 Clause
>
>  * GPL license :
>  * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
>  * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
>  * as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
>  * of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>
> And here the license is GPL V2 or later.
>
> Some detective work is due ...

Dug into this now, patches are sent to resolve this, thanks for letting
me know.

greg k-h