On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 09:32:27PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote: > On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 20:54:33 +0100, > Zach Riggle 🖖 wrote: > > (1) Can the buffer be mremap()ed with a different offset into the buffer?  > > This was a concern in the past and the reason for the anon_inode stuff at > > all.  I believe that as long as the *size* of the mapping doesn't change, > > Linux mm will gladly permit mremap() without informing the driver. > Could you elaborate which perspective of mremap() can be a big > problem? The driver interface does nothing but a standard mmap for > now. I believe the issue was that if someone could remap the buffer to gain access to memory outside the memory allocated for the PCM buffer that would be a problem. To be honest I'm surprised that this might be a general issue with mmap().