On Sun, Feb 03, 2019 at 10:54:57AM -0800, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote: > eDP panels usually have EDID EEPROM, so there's no need to define panel > width/height or any modes/timings in dts. But this panel still may have > regulator and/or backlight. > > Signed-off-by: Vasily Khoruzhick > --- > .../devicetree/bindings/display/panel/panel-edp.txt | 7 +++++++ > 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+) > create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/display/panel/panel-edp.txt Please don't try to make panels look more generic than they really are. You're going to have to provide a compatible string for your device that is more specific than "panel-edp". You claim that you don't need any extra information that is panel specific, but you don't know that now. We have in the past thought that we didn't need things like prepare delay, but then we ran into situations where we did need them. Just do what everybody else does. Provide a specific compatible string and match on that in the panel-simple driver. Even if you can read all the video timings from an EDID EEPROM, you can still provide a mode in the panel descriptor to serve as a fallback if for example the EEPROM is faulty on some device. Thierry