On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 08:53:11AM -0600, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote: > On 2/14/19 3:25 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote: > > On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 23:07:21 +0100, > > Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote: > > > + /* private data - core does not touch */ > > > + void *private; /* FIXME: still SOF-specific, needs to less ambiguous */ > > Then better to name it sof_private? > Ah, this is a mistake in the FIXME comment. > initially we had a field called "sof" and Mark made the following comment: ... > so we added a FIXME to track this, then later we moved the field and renamed > it 'private' so that it can be used by others if needed but didn't remove > the FIXME. Will fix this. That doesn't really address the issue - there's multiple drivers using any given runtime so none of them can safely use a generically named private data field. Conversely putting a field specific to a given driver into the core data structures opens the door to everyone wanting their custom stuff in the core which is also a problem for different reasons. This would be a lot easier with the DSP represented as a first class device in the system...