On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 04:43:39PM +0100, Jaroslav Kysela wrote: > I would not use any of the "user space" ioctl API to represent the > hardware bclk requirements. The applications should know just the DMA > memory layout. > Also, think about the multiple simultaneous paths for the audio output > in the sound controller (so one DMA from the user space to the > controller, but the controller can do multiple simultaneous outputs > using different clocks combining different wire buses or so). Yes, it's > the corner case, but it's another reason to have the bclk code totally > separated from the user space ALSA's PCM API. There's also a range of devices that either don't have visible buses at all due to integration or which are on buses that look nothing like the I2S/DSP mode style of bus, rendering the parameters meaningless.