* [U-Boot] rk3288 SPL size
@ 2019-04-05 10:10 Wadim Egorov
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Wadim Egorov @ 2019-04-05 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

it seems the new common rockchip pinctrl driver does not really fit into
our phycore-rk3288 SPL setup. It works for every other rk3288 based
board because they don't need special power configurations at the SPL stage.

So my question is: is there any work going on to reduce the SPL size
even more?

Besides that, I think I can remove the power stuff at the SPL stage from
our board. The SOM was redesigned and is equipped with an STM8 connected
to the RK818. The required setup we did before in the SPL is now done by
the ST controller. I know there are only a few SOMs without the STM8 out
in the wild. So if I remove it it will affect only a few people who
probably already have both boards.

Regards,
Wadim

* [U-Boot] rk3288 SPL size
@ 2019-04-05 10:22 ` Heiko Stübner
From: Heiko Stübner @ 2019-04-05 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

Am Freitag, 5. April 2019, 12:10:21 CEST schrieb Wadim Egorov:
> it seems the new common rockchip pinctrl driver does not really fit into
> our phycore-rk3288 SPL setup. It works for every other rk3288 based
> board because they don't need special power configurations at the SPL stage.
>
> So my question is: is there any work going on to reduce the SPL size
> even more?
>
> Besides that, I think I can remove the power stuff at the SPL stage from
> our board. The SOM was redesigned and is equipped with an STM8 connected
> to the RK818. The required setup we did before in the SPL is now done by
> the ST controller. I know there are only a few SOMs without the STM8 out
> in the wild. So if I remove it it will affect only a few people who
> probably already have both boards.

alternatively you could introduce a tpl-stage, similar to what Amarula
does with their Vyasa board. With spl in ram there is obviously no size
limitation anymore.

But obviously if the power-fix isn't actually needed anymore, dropping
it might be the easiest solution.

* [U-Boot] rk3288 SPL size
@ 2019-04-05 17:41 ` Philipp Tomsich
From: Philipp Tomsich @ 2019-04-05 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Wadim,

> On 05.04.2019, at 12:10, Wadim Egorov <w.egorov@phytec.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> it seems the new common rockchip pinctrl driver does not really fit into
> our phycore-rk3288 SPL setup. It works for every other rk3288 based
> board because they don't need special power configurations at the SPL stage.

I recommend to implement a simple-pinctrl for SPL, which is similar to what
we’ve done for the RK3399 (not on the list yet, as it’s collocated with a bigger
rework of the DMC initialisation that reads some data from an I2C EEPROM).

As you’ll probably need to do this initialisation even at the TPL stage (if you
use one on the RK3288), then the simple pinctrl will need to be available
at TPL.

Thanks,
Phiilipp.

> So my question is: is there any work going on to reduce the SPL size
> even more?
>
> Besides that, I think I can remove the power stuff at the SPL stage from
> our board. The SOM was redesigned and is equipped with an STM8 connected
> to the RK818. The required setup we did before in the SPL is now done by
> the ST controller. I know there are only a few SOMs without the STM8 out
> in the wild. So if I remove it it will affect only a few people who
> probably already have both boards.
>
> Regards,
> Wadim

* [U-Boot] rk3288 SPL size
@ 2019-04-16  6:49 ` Jonathan Gray
From: Jonathan Gray @ 2019-04-16  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 12:10:21PM +0200, Wadim Egorov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems the new common rockchip pinctrl driver does not really fit into
> our phycore-rk3288 SPL setup. It works for every other rk3288 based
> board because they don't need special power configurations at the SPL stage.

It turns out tinker-rk3288 SPL no longer fits in 2019.04 and previously
worked fine in 2019.01.

Warning: SPL image is too large (size 0x8800) and will not boot
Error: image verification failed

built with gcc-linaro 6.3.2017.02

bisecting led to the pinctrl changes.

with SPL_PINCTRL_ROCKCHIP disabled it fits and U-Boot output on
serial gets as far as the efi loader then no output appears on serial
when a kernel is loaded.

> So my question is: is there any work going on to reduce the SPL size
> even more?
>
> Besides that, I think I can remove the power stuff at the SPL stage from
> our board. The SOM was redesigned and is equipped with an STM8 connected
> to the RK818. The required setup we did before in the SPL is now done by
> the ST controller. I know there are only a few SOMs without the STM8 out
> in the wild. So if I remove it it will affect only a few people who
> probably already have both boards.
>
> Regards,
> Wadim

* [U-Boot] rk3288 SPL size
@ 2019-04-16  7:12   ` Jonathan Gray
From: Jonathan Gray @ 2019-04-16  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 04:49:12PM +1000, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 12:10:21PM +0200, Wadim Egorov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > it seems the new common rockchip pinctrl driver does not really fit into
> > our phycore-rk3288 SPL setup. It works for every other rk3288 based
> > board because they don't need special power configurations at the SPL stage.
>
> It turns out tinker-rk3288 SPL no longer fits in 2019.04 and previously
> worked fine in 2019.01.
>
> Warning: SPL image is too large (size 0x8800) and will not boot
> Error: image verification failed
>
> built with gcc-linaro 6.3.2017.02
>
> bisecting led to the pinctrl changes.
>
> with SPL_PINCTRL_ROCKCHIP disabled it fits and U-Boot output on
> serial gets as far as the efi loader then no output appears on serial
> when a kernel is loaded.

Changing the defconfig to not have CONFIG_SPL_I2C_SUPPORT=y also fits
and also still hangs on loading a kernel.