Hi! > On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 10:42:30AM +0200, Enric Balletbo i Serra wrote: > > On 16/4/19 9:19, Pavel Machek wrote: > > >> This patch exposes a new property, similar to input current limit, to > > >> re-configure the maximum voltage from the external supply at runtime > > >> based on system-level knowledge or user input. > > > > > > Well, and I suspect it should expose input power limit, not input > > > voltage limit. > > > > Oh, ok, I thought we were agree that input voltage had sense after had some > > discussion in v3. Seems that no, let me try to give you another example... > > > > > DC-DC convertor efficiency normally does not much depend on input > > > voltage.... > > > > As we said we have a heat "problem" due the internal voltage conversions. > > > > Lets assume you have a linear regulator instead with a Vin range from 5V to 9V > > and we want an output of 3.3V/1A > > > > For 9V: > > Input power : P(in) = 9V x 1A = 9W > > Output power: P(out) = 3.3V x 1A = 3.3W > > Regulator power dissipated: P(reg) = P(in) - P(out) = 9W - 3.3W = 5.7W > > > > For 5V: > > Input power : P(in) = 5V x 1A = 5W > > Output power: P(out) = 3.3V x 1A = 3.3W > > Regulator power dissipated: P(reg) = P(in) - P(out) = 5W - 3.3W = 1,7W > > > > In the first case the regulator needs to dissipate more power, hence the > > temperature is greater than the second case. > > I would be surprised, if a linear regulator is being used in this > place :) That would basically render functionality of higher voltage > completley useless and a good reason to always limit to 5V. For the > generic case I agree with Pavel, that control over the power (voltage > * current) is the better choice. Still I believe it makes sense to > have a control knob for the voltage available, since some hardware > designs suck. > > For example the bad hardware design might be the remote side, > that has issues providing some voltages and this would make it > possible to debug that. Ok, I agree it might be useful _somewhere_, mostly for hardware debugging. But before if we add voltage_limit, lets add power_limit, too; and for problems that can be solved using power_limit, lets use power_limit... Best regards, Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html