Hi Jan, > There are two things here: If I review a patch and I'm not confident I did > a good job for some parts (because I didn't have time or I just don't know > that part of the kernel), then I should write that to the reply with > Reviewed-by tag. That's IMHO a good rule but I don't think you can enforce > it in any way. You can just ask people that do reviews for your subsystem > if you think they're omitting this. I agree to this. This is why I intentionally wrote my theses with words like "should" and "encourage" because I don't believe in "enforcing" such a thing. Nonetheless, having a clear statement worked well for commit messages, I think. We have spread the word how important good commit messages are and from what I observe they have become better. I wish for a similar process with reviews. And from my side, it could be as simple as "checked everything, all good". > The second thing is that if human doesn't know something, then he/she has > a tendency to underestimate how much he/she doesn't know (this even has a > psychological term "cognitive bias"). So the self-evaluation of "how good is > my review" is always going to be subjective and it is upto maintainer to > judge what is the value of the review. I still consider the mere description of what was reviewed in detail and what not already helpful. I agree that the maintainer still has to evaluate the review. > To give an exaple, Ted Tso (ext4 maintainer) tends to just ignore "empty > Reviewed-by" replies from people that haven't built enough credit in the > kernel community by actually finding bugs with their reviews... This is good to know. I will apply some rules for I2C. Yet, it feels easier if I2C is not some obscure island but part of something. Thanks, Wolfram