* [U-Boot] Want a Das U-Boot project logo
@ 2019-07-09 21:29 Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2019-07-09 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

A few days ago I became aware of the existence of Das U-Boot.  It appers
you're doing good technical work, and the bilingual pun appeals to
my sense of humor. This makes me want to do the project a good turn.
And, it turns out, I think I can.

I recently launched an effort called Loadsharers.  You can read about
it at http://loadsharers.net and I hope that will motivate you to join
the network and spread the word about it.

The Loadsharers network needed a logo.  I am not a professional
graphics designer, but given access to a clip-art archive and a copy
of the GIMP I am not bad at putting together something simple and
serviceable. Besides the Loadsharers logo I have also designed the
logos on these pages:

https://gpsd.io/
https://ntpsec.org/

(I'm also the technical lead of both projects.)

The Atlas image that I chose for Loadsharers turns out to be owned by
Shutterstock.  I bought the rights to use it yesterday.  But it turns
out the minimum package you can buy from them is a 5-image licenses.  This
means I have free license options on four Shutterstock images of my
choice over the next year.

It would amuse me to trawl Shutterstock's archive, fire up a copy of
Inkscape or the GIMP, and design a logo for Das U-boot.  I have in
mind something themed around a periscope or periscope reticle.

Interested?

The kind of charity you can force out of people nourishes about as much as
the kind of love you can buy --- and spreads even nastier diseases.

* [U-Boot] Want a Das U-Boot project logo
@ 2019-07-09 21:54 ` Peter Robinson
From: Peter Robinson @ 2019-07-09 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 10:31 PM Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:

> A few days ago I became aware of the existence of Das U-Boot.  It appers
> you're doing good technical work, and the bilingual pun appeals to
> my sense of humor. This makes me want to do the project a good turn.
> And, it turns out, I think I can.
>
> I recently launched an effort called Loadsharers.  You can read about
> it at http://loadsharers.net and I hope that will motivate you to join
> the network and spread the word about it.
>
> The Loadsharers network needed a logo.  I am not a professional
> graphics designer, but given access to a clip-art archive and a copy
> of the GIMP I am not bad at putting together something simple and
> serviceable. Besides the Loadsharers logo I have also designed the
> logos on these pages:
>
> https://gpsd.io/
> https://ntpsec.org/
>
> (I'm also the technical lead of both projects.)
>
> The Atlas image that I chose for Loadsharers turns out to be owned by
> Shutterstock.  I bought the rights to use it yesterday.  But it turns
> out the minimum package you can buy from them is a 5-image licenses.  This
> means I have free license options on four Shutterstock images of my
> choice over the next year.
>
> It would amuse me to trawl Shutterstock's archive, fire up a copy of
> Inkscape or the GIMP, and design a logo for Das U-boot.  I have in
> mind something themed around a periscope or periscope reticle.
>
> Interested?

It already has this one
https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot/blob/master/tools/logos/u-boot_logo.svg

* [U-Boot] Want a Das U-Boot project logo
@ 2019-07-09 23:18   ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2019-07-09 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@gmail.com>:
> > Interested?
>
> It already has this one
> https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot/blob/master/tools/logos/u-boot_logo.svg

Hm.  Doesn't show up on the home page.  I did check.

Very well then, good luck and good hunting.