From: Eric Biggers <ebiggers@kernel.org>
To: Pascal Van Leeuwen <pvanleeuwen@verimatrix.com>
Cc: "linux-crypto@vger.kernel.org" <linux-crypto@vger.kernel.org>,
	Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>,
	"davem@davemloft.net" <davem@davemloft.net>
Subject: Re: Testmgr fuzz testing
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 16:06:42 -0700	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 10:09:03PM +0000, Pascal Van Leeuwen wrote:
> [...]

I meant repeatable in the sense that the same bug is hit, even if the generated
test case is not 100% identical.

Anyway, you're welcome to send a patch changing the fuzzing code to use a
constant seed, if you really think it would be useful and can provide proper
justification for it.  I'm not sure why you keep sending these long rants, when
you could simply send a patch yourself.

> > In my experience the bugs found by the fuzz tests tend to be found within a
> > couple hundred iterations, so are seen within a few boots at most with the
> > default fuzz_iterations=100, and are "always" seen with fuzz_iterations=1000.
> > Raising fuzz_iterations to 10000 didn't find anything else.
> >
> That may be because you've been working mostly with software implementations
> which were already in pretty good shape to begin with. Hardware tends to have
> many more (tricky) corner cases.
> The odds of hitting a specific corner case in just 100 or 1000 vectors is really not
> as high as you may think. Especially if many of the vectors being generated are
> actually illegal and just test for proper error response from the driver.
>
> Just try to compute the (current) odds of getting an AAD length and cipher text
> length that are zero at the same time. Which is a relevant corner case at least for
> our hardware. In fact, having the digestsize zero at the same time as well is yet
> another corner case requiring yet another workaround. The odds of those 3
> cases colliding while generating random lengths over a decent range are really,
> really slim.
>
> Also, how fast you can reboot depends very much on the platform you're
> working on. It quickly becomes annoying if rebooting takes minutes and plenty
> of manual interaction. Speaking from experience.
>
> > If you find otherwise and come across some really rare case, you should either
> > add a real test vector (i.e. not part of the fuzz tests) for it,
> >
> The problem with "generating a test vector for it" is that it requires a known-
> good reference implementation, which is usually hard to find. And then you
> have to convert it to testmgr.h format and add it there manually. Which is both
> cumbersome and will cause testmgr.h (and kernel size) to explode at some point.
>
> While in the overal majority of cases you don't really care about the input data
> itself at all, so it's fine to generate that randomly, what you care about are things
> like specific lengths, alignments, sizes, IV (counter) values and combinations thereof.
>
> Also, adding those as "normal" test vectors will cause the normal boot produre to
> slow to a crawl verifying  loads of obscure corner cases that are really only relevant
> during development anyway.
>
> And why bother if you have the generic implementation available to do all
> this on-the-fly and only with the extra tests enabled, just like you do with the full
> random vectors?
>
> It was just a crazy idea anyway, based on a real-life observation I made.

Being too lazy to add a test vector isn't really an excuse, and it won't bloat
the kernel size or boot time unless you add a massive number of test vectors or
if they use very large lengths.  We could even make certain test vectors
conditional on CONFIG_CRYPTO_MANAGER_EXTRA_TESTS if it's an issue...

> > or you should
> > update the fuzz tests to generate the case more often so that it's likely to be
> > hit with the default fuzz_iterations=100.
> >
> Running just 10 times more iterations is really not going to be sufficient to hit
> the really tricky *combinations* of parameters, considering the ranges of the
> individual parameters. Just do some statistics on that and you'll soon realise.
>
> Just some example for the AEAD corner case I mentioned before:
>
> The odds of generating a zero authsize are 1/4 * 1/17 = 1/68. But that will still
> need to coincide with all other parameters (including key sizes) being legal.
> So there already, your 100 iterations come short.
>
> A zero length AAD *and* plaintext happens only once every 8000+ vectors.
> And that also still has to coincide with key sizes etc. being legal. So there even
> 10000 iterations would not be enough to be *sure* to hit that.
>
> To have some reasonable shot at hitting the combination those two cases
> you'd need well over a million iterations ...
>
> > I don't think it's necessary to split
> > the fuzz testing into 2 parts; instead we just need to boost the probability of
> > generating known edge cases (e.g. see what generate_random_bytes() already does).
> >
> I guess somehow tweaking the random generation such that the probability of
> generating the interesting cases becomes *significantly* higher would work too.
> To me, that's just implementation detail though.

Like I said, if you encounter bugs that the fuzz tests should be finding but
aren't, it would be really helpful if you added test vectors for them and/or
updated the fuzz tests to generate those cases more often.  I was simply
pointing out that to do the latter, we don't really need to split the tests into
2 parts; it would be sufficient just to change the probabilities with which
different things are generated.  Note that the probabilities can be conditional
on other things, which can get around the issue where a bunch of small
independent probabilities are multiplied together.

- Eric