Hi Laurent, On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 03:21:26PM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote: > Hi Jacopo, > > Thank you for the patch. > > On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 11:23:27AM +0200, Jacopo Mondi wrote: > > Add the 'location' device property, used to specify the camera device > > mounting position. The property is particularly meaningful for mobile > > devices with a well defined usage orientation. > > > > Signed-off-by: Jacopo Mondi > > --- > > .../devicetree/bindings/media/video-interfaces.txt | 10 ++++++++++ > > 1 file changed, 10 insertions(+) > > > > diff --git a/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/media/video-interfaces.txt b/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/media/video-interfaces.txt > > index f884ada0bffc..865f4142f432 100644 > > --- a/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/media/video-interfaces.txt > > +++ b/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/media/video-interfaces.txt > > @@ -89,6 +89,16 @@ Optional properties > > but a number of degrees counter clockwise. Typical values are 0 and 180 > > (upside down). > > > > +- location: The camera sensor mounting location, expressed as a position > > + relative to the usage orientation of the device the sensor is installed on. > > DT bindings being ABIs, we need to be precise and thorough there. One > particular point that bothers me is that the property is named location, > and its description refers to camera sensor mounting location. > > I see two options to fix this. One of them is to rename the property to > camera-location, but that would limit its future usage for other types > of devices. The other one is to document the property as applying to a > "device" instead of a "camera sensor", and add one sentence stating that > this property is valid for camera sensors only. > > This will require finding another name for the device that the device is > mounted on though, as using device twice would be very confusing. I had the same concern, but I cannot find another term to convey this... suggestions? > > > + Possible values are: > > + 0 - Front. The image sensor is mounted on the front facing side of the device. > > + For mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets and laptops the front side is > > + the user facing side of the device. > > + 1 - Back. The image sensor is mounted on the back side of the device, which is > > + defined as the opposite side of the front facing one. > > + 2 - External. The image sensor is connected to the device by extension cables, > > + and can be freely moved, regardless of the device position. > > It could be something else than cables (wireless possibly ?). I would > phrase this along the lines of "The device is not attached directly to > the [device], or is attached in a way that allows it to move to > different locations." Agreed, once we find a good term for [device] :) > > > > > Optional endpoint properties > > ---------------------------- > > -- > Regards, > > Laurent Pinchart