* [Ksummit-discuss] DRAFT Kernel Summit Track schedule
@ 2019-08-26 21:25 Theodore Y. Ts'o
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Theodore Y. Ts'o @ 2019-08-26 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

This is a draft kernel summit track schedule.  Please let me know of
any potential conflicts or schedule changes that you might like to
make.

The Open Slots will be available for last minute scheduling requests,
unconference style.

Thanks!

					- Ted

Monday September 9, 2019

AM MC's: Dist Kernels, Tracing MC, RISC-V
PM MC's PM: IoT, Scheduler, IOMMU

10:00  Reworking of KVA allocator in Linux kernel
10:45  Touch but don’t look: Running the kernel in execute only memory
11:30  Break
12:00  Upstream Graphics: Too little, too late
12:45  The list is our process: An analysis of the kernel's email-based development process
13:30  Lunch
15:00  Maple Tree
15:45  <Open slot>
16:30  Break
17:00  Inline Encryption Support
17:45  <Open Slot>
18:30  TAB Elections
19:45  LPC Evening Event

Tuesday September 10, 2019

AM MC's: Open Printing, Toolchains, Testing and Fuzzing
PM MC's: Containers, Android, Power managemnt

10:00  Memory management bits in arch/*
10:45  replacing mmap_sem with finer grained locks
11:30  Break
12:00  Killing the mmap_sem's contention
12:45  <Open Slot>
13:30  Lunch
15:00  Tracing Data Access Pattern with Bounded Overhead and Best-effort Accuracy
15:45  Interrupt Message Store: A scalable interrupt mechanism for the cloud
16:30  Break
17:00  Kernel Documentation
17:45  <Open Slot>

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

AM MC's: RDMA, Real Time, Databases
PM MC's: Live patching, BPF, System boot/security

10:00  Moving the Linux ABI to userspace
10:45  KUnit - Unit Testing for the Linux Kernel
11:30  Break
12:00  Reflections on kernel quality, development process and testing
12:45  <Open Slot>
13:30  Lunch
15:00  Decoupling ZRAM from a specific backend
15:45  <Open Slot>
16:30  <Break>
17:00  <Open Slot>
17:45  <Room not available -- reconfiguration for Plenary>
18:30  Closing Plenary
20:00  LPC Closing Party

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] DRAFT Kernel Summit Track schedule
@ 2019-08-28 19:23 ` Christian Brauner
From: Christian Brauner @ 2019-08-28 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Y. Ts'o; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 05:25:48PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> This is a draft kernel summit track schedule.  Please let me know of
> any potential conflicts or schedule changes that you might like to
> make.

Hey Ted,

Could we grab a slot for
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/ksummit-discuss/2019-July/006699.html
please? It doesn't seem to appear in the list yet.

Thanks!
Christian

@ 2019-08-28 20:13 ` Dave Airlie
From: Dave Airlie @ 2019-08-28 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Y. Ts'o; +Cc: ksummit

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 at 07:25, Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:

> This is a draft kernel summit track schedule.  Please let me know of
> any potential conflicts or schedule changes that you might like to
> make.
>
> The Open Slots will be available for last minute scheduling requests,
> unconference style.

Hey Ted,

Not sure who is giving the Monday graphics talk at 12:00 could I ask
you to push this a bit later. I'm unfortunately arriving in Lisbon on
Monday morning and I should be at the venue by 12:00 but it would be
good to guarantee I can attend.

Dave.

@ 2019-08-28 20:29 ` Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2019-08-28 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Y. Ts'o, ksummit-discuss

On 8/26/19 3:25 PM, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> This is a draft kernel summit track schedule.  Please let me know of
> any potential conflicts or schedule changes that you might like to
> make.
>
> The Open Slots will be available for last minute scheduling requests,
> unconference style.
>
> Thanks!
>
> 					- Ted

I would like to grab an open slot for discussing kselftest.

I would like to get an idea on where developers and maintainers
stand on running latest stable kselftests on older stable releases.
Open lot on Sept 10th afternoon or Sept 11th will be great.

thanks,
-- Shuah

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] DRAFT Kernel Summit Track schedule
@ 2019-08-30  3:49   ` Theodore Y. Ts'o
From: Theodore Y. Ts'o @ 2019-08-30  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Airlie; +Cc: ksummit

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 06:13:57AM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:

> Not sure who is giving the Monday graphics talk at 12:00 could I ask
> you to push this a bit later. I'm unfortunately arriving in Lisbon on
> Monday morning and I should be at the venue by 12:00 but it would be
> good to guarantee I can attend.

It's Daniel Vetter.  The full kernel summit agenda on-line can be
found at:

	https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/4/sessions/40/#all

Hmm... one possibility might be to swap it with the Maple Tree talk at
15:00.  Let's see if Daniel and Liam are OK with this.

      	     	    	     	    - Ted

@ 2019-08-30  3:51   ` Theodore Y. Ts'o
From: Theodore Y. Ts'o @ 2019-08-30  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Brauner; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 09:23:08PM +0200, Christian Brauner wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 05:25:48PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > This is a draft kernel summit track schedule.  Please let me know of
> > any potential conflicts or schedule changes that you might like to
> > make.
>
> Could we grab a slot for
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/ksummit-discuss/2019-July/006699.html
> please? It doesn't seem to appear in the list yet.

I hadn't scheduled this because it seemed to be a fairly specialized
topic, and one of the major contributors to the thread (Andy
Lutomirski) won't be able to be there.  Will we have the right people
to have this discussion in Lisbon?

					- Ted

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] DRAFT Kernel Summit Track schedule
@ 2019-08-30  3:54   ` Theodore Y. Ts'o
From: Theodore Y. Ts'o @ 2019-08-30  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 02:29:57PM -0600, Shuah Khan wrote:
> I would like to grab an open slot for discussing kselftest.
>
> I would like to get an idea on where developers and maintainers
> stand on running latest stable kselftests on older stable releases.
> Open lot on Sept 10th afternoon or Sept 11th will be great.

How about 12:45 on Wednesday, after "Reflection on kernel quality,
development process, and testing"?  That will put it opposite the Live
Patching, BPF, and System Boot/security microconfs, and the "Malloc
for everyone and beyond NUMA" LPC talk.

					- Ted

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] DRAFT Kernel Summit Track schedule
@ 2019-08-30  5:53     ` Kees Cook
From: Kees Cook @ 2019-08-30  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Y. Ts'o; +Cc: Christian Brauner, ksummit-discuss

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 11:51:17PM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 09:23:08PM +0200, Christian Brauner wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 05:25:48PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > > This is a draft kernel summit track schedule.  Please let me know of
> > > any potential conflicts or schedule changes that you might like to
> > > make.
> >
> > Could we grab a slot for
> > https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/ksummit-discuss/2019-July/006699.html
> > please? It doesn't seem to appear in the list yet.
>
> I hadn't scheduled this because it seemed to be a fairly specialized
> topic, and one of the major contributors to the thread (Andy
> Lutomirski) won't be able to be there.  Will we have the right people
> to have this discussion in Lisbon?

I agree it would be better to have Andy there, but I don't think that's
reason enough to not discuss it. We had a rather large BoF meeting at LSS
about it with a circle of maybe 15-20 people where we made some headway
on understanding some of the larger requirements, but there was a lot
left to discuss. I know several people from that discussion will be in
Lisbon, though I agree it's somewhat specialized. I'm not sure what the
"interest level" cut-off is for a ksummit slot, but I know I'll need to
spend time talking with a bunch of people about it in person while I'm
there, so at least having some "unscheduled" slots for similar kinds of
discussions would be value.

--
Kees Cook

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] DRAFT Kernel Summit Track schedule
@ 2019-09-01  8:09     ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2019-09-01  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Y. Ts'o; +Cc: ksummit

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 5:49 AM Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 06:13:57AM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> >
> > Not sure who is giving the Monday graphics talk at 12:00 could I ask
> > you to push this a bit later. I'm unfortunately arriving in Lisbon on
> > Monday morning and I should be at the venue by 12:00 but it would be
> > good to guarantee I can attend.
>
> It's Daniel Vetter.  The full kernel summit agenda on-line can be
> found at:
>
>         https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/4/sessions/40/#all
>
> Hmm... one possibility might be to swap it with the Maple Tree talk at
> 15:00.  Let's see if Daniel and Liam are OK with this.

Fine with me, actually a bit better since then it doesn't clash with
the distro kernel MC.
-Daniel

>                                     - Ted
>

> > > Monday September 9, 2019
> > >
> > > AM MC's: Dist Kernels, Tracing MC, RISC-V
> > > PM MC's PM: IoT, Scheduler, IOMMU
> > >
> > > 10:00  Reworking of KVA allocator in Linux kernel
> > > 10:45  Touch but don’t look: Running the kernel in execute only memory
> > > 11:30  Break
> > > 12:00  Upstream Graphics: Too little, too late
> > > 12:45  The list is our process: An analysis of the kernel's email-based development process
> > > 13:30  Lunch
> > > 15:00  Maple Tree
> > > 15:45  <Open slot>
> > > 16:30  Break
> > > 17:00  Inline Encryption Support
> > > 17:45  <Open Slot>
> > > 18:30  TAB Elections
> > > 19:45  LPC Evening Event
> > >

> > > Tuesday September 10, 2019
> > >
> > > AM MC's: Open Printing, Toolchains, Testing and Fuzzing
> > > PM MC's: Containers, Android, Power managemnt
> > >
> > > 10:00  Memory management bits in arch/*
> > > 10:45  replacing mmap_sem with finer grained locks
> > > 11:30  Break
> > > 12:00  Killing the mmap_sem's contention
> > > 12:45  <Open Slot>
> > > 13:30  Lunch
> > > 15:00  Tracing Data Access Pattern with Bounded Overhead and Best-effort Accuracy
> > > 15:45  Interrupt Message Store: A scalable interrupt mechanism for the cloud
> > > 16:30  Break
> > > 17:00  Kernel Documentation
> > > 17:45  <Open Slot>
> > >
> > > Wednesday, September 11, 2019
> > >
> > > AM MC's: RDMA, Real Time, Databases
> > > PM MC's: Live patching, BPF, System boot/security
> > >
> > > 10:00  Moving the Linux ABI to userspace
> > > 10:45  KUnit - Unit Testing for the Linux Kernel
> > > 11:30  Break
> > > 12:00  Reflections on kernel quality, development process and testing
> > > 12:45  <Open Slot>
> > > 13:30  Lunch
> > > 15:00  Decoupling ZRAM from a specific backend
> > > 15:45  <Open Slot>
> > > 16:30  <Break>
> > > 17:00  <Open Slot>
> > > 17:45  <Room not available -- reconfiguration for Plenary>
> > > 18:30  Closing Plenary
> > > 20:00  LPC Closing Party

Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] DRAFT Kernel Summit Track schedule
@ 2019-09-05  0:12       ` Theodore Y. Ts'o
From: Theodore Y. Ts'o @ 2019-09-05  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kees Cook; +Cc: Christian Brauner, ksummit-discuss

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 10:53:54PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 11:51:17PM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> > >
> > > Could we grab a slot for
> > > https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/ksummit-discuss/2019-July/006699.html
> > > please? It doesn't seem to appear in the list yet.
> >
> > I hadn't scheduled this because it seemed to be a fairly specialized
> > topic, and one of the major contributors to the thread (Andy
> > Lutomirski) won't be able to be there.  Will we have the right people
> > to have this discussion in Lisbon?
>
> I agree it would be better to have Andy there, but I don't think that's
> reason enough to not discuss it. We had a rather large BoF meeting at LSS
> about it with a circle of maybe 15-20 people where we made some headway
> on understanding some of the larger requirements, but there was a lot
> left to discuss. I know several people from that discussion will be in
> Lisbon, though I agree it's somewhat specialized. I'm not sure what the
> "interest level" cut-off is for a ksummit slot, but I know I'll need to
> spend time talking with a bunch of people about it in person while I'm
> there, so at least having some "unscheduled" slots for similar kinds of
> discussions would be value.

OK, I've scheduled "Deep Argument Inspection and Seccomp" at 15:45 on
Monday.  Let me know if that slot doesn't work for anyone critical who
needs to participate.

					- Ted

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] DRAFT Kernel Summit Track schedule
@ 2019-09-05 19:47         ` Kees Cook
From: Kees Cook @ 2019-09-05 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Y. Ts'o; +Cc: Christian Brauner, ksummit-discuss

On Wed, Sep 04, 2019 at 08:12:30PM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 10:53:54PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:

> > > I hadn't scheduled this because it seemed to be a fairly specialized
> > > topic, and one of the major contributors to the thread (Andy
> > > Lutomirski) won't be able to be there.  Will we have the right people
> > > to have this discussion in Lisbon?
> >
> > I agree it would be better to have Andy there, but I don't think that's
> > reason enough to not discuss it. We had a rather large BoF meeting at LSS
> > about it with a circle of maybe 15-20 people where we made some headway
> > on understanding some of the larger requirements, but there was a lot
> > left to discuss. I know several people from that discussion will be in
> > Lisbon, though I agree it's somewhat specialized. I'm not sure what the
> > "interest level" cut-off is for a ksummit slot, but I know I'll need to
> > spend time talking with a bunch of people about it in person while I'm
> > there, so at least having some "unscheduled" slots for similar kinds of
> > discussions would be value.
>
> OK, I've scheduled "Deep Argument Inspection and Seccomp" at 15:45 on
> Monday.  Let me know if that slot doesn't work for anyone critical who
> needs to participate.

This is great; thank you! :)

--
Kees Cook