Hi Mauro, On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 09:51:47AM -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote: > Em Tue, 27 Aug 2019 15:21:26 +0300 > Laurent Pinchart escreveu: > > > Hi Jacopo, > > > > Thank you for the patch. > > > > On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 11:23:27AM +0200, Jacopo Mondi wrote: > > > Add the 'location' device property, used to specify the camera device > > > mounting position. The property is particularly meaningful for mobile > > > devices with a well defined usage orientation. > > > > > > Signed-off-by: Jacopo Mondi > > > --- > > > .../devicetree/bindings/media/video-interfaces.txt | 10 ++++++++++ > > > 1 file changed, 10 insertions(+) > > > > > > diff --git a/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/media/video-interfaces.txt b/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/media/video-interfaces.txt > > > index f884ada0bffc..865f4142f432 100644 > > > --- a/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/media/video-interfaces.txt > > > +++ b/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/media/video-interfaces.txt > > > @@ -89,6 +89,16 @@ Optional properties > > > but a number of degrees counter clockwise. Typical values are 0 and 180 > > > (upside down). > > > > > > +- location: The camera sensor mounting location, expressed as a position > > > + relative to the usage orientation of the device the sensor is installed on. > > > > DT bindings being ABIs, we need to be precise and thorough there. One > > particular point that bothers me is that the property is named location, > > and its description refers to camera sensor mounting location. > > Yeah, "location" doesn't sound a good name for me neither. > I think Laurent referred to the fact that as we changed the property name to 'location' it is not a good idea to refer to 'camera sensor' as it could refer to flash leds too (and potentially other devices). In v3 I have s/camera sensor/device s/device/system How would you name the property? > > > > I see two options to fix this. One of them is to rename the property to > > camera-location, but that would limit its future usage for other types > > of devices. The other one is to document the property as applying to a > > "device" instead of a "camera sensor", and add one sentence stating that > > this property is valid for camera sensors only. > > > > This will require finding another name for the device that the device is > > mounted on though, as using device twice would be very confusing. > > > > > + Possible values are: > > > + 0 - Front. The image sensor is mounted on the front facing side of the device. > > > + For mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets and laptops the front side is > > > + the user facing side of the device. > > > + 1 - Back. The image sensor is mounted on the back side of the device, which is > > > + defined as the opposite side of the front facing one. > > > + 2 - External. The image sensor is connected to the device by extension cables, > > > + and can be freely moved, regardless of the device position. > > Hmm... > > Besides the point that Laurent and Rob already commented, just those 3 options > doesn't seem good enough. I was reading a public article yesterday about a new > device (Samsung Galaxy Fold[1]) with comes with 6 cameras, being 3 at back, > 1 at front, when the device is opened, and 1 camera that could be either at the > back or at the front, depending if the device is opened or not. > Pavel linked a similar device in a previous reply: https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-a80/ I understand the above options might not get enough in future, but right now they cover the 99,9% of devices in the market, and those phones are far from being mainline supported I presume. > Btw, on a device with multiple cameras at the same side, it would > make sense to also be able to uniquely identify the location of each > sensor somehow. > I think the location property should not identify devices, but just report where they are installed. Does having two cameras reporting the same mounting location bother you? > There are also some other new devices with a front motorized slider camera > that sits hidden inside the phone, until when someone uses it. > So it's an HIDDEN_FRONT_CAMERA ? :) Thanks j > Thanks, > Mauro