* [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2019-10-09 18:13 Mark Brown
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Mark Brown @ 2019-10-09 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood, Curtis Malainey, Pierre-Louis Bossart

As in previous years we're going to have an audio miniconference so we can
get together and talk through issues, especially design decisions, face to
face.  This year's event will be held on October 31st in Lyon, France,
the day after ELC-E.  This will be held at the Lyon Convention Center (the
ELC-E venue) and will be free of charge to attend, generously
sponsored by Intel.

Thus far for the agenda we have:

 - Use case management enhancements (Curtis)
 - DSP framework integration (Liam?)
 - Soundwire status (Pierre?)
 - Componentisation status/plans (Me)

As with previous years let's pull together an agenda through a mailing
list discussion - if people could reply to this mail with any topics
they'd like to discuss we can take it from there.  Of course if we can
sort things out more quickly via the mailing list that's even better!

If you're planning to attend please fill out the form here:

    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd6FV-tWYZ1fHlCmyzQhG98OtYH9W9GX-1dQ88mnLxVRGyPww/viewform?usp=sf_link

This event will be covered by the same code of conduct as ELC-E.

Thanks again to Intel for supporting this event.

Thanks,
Mark

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2019-10-09 18:48 ` Daniel Baluta
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2019-10-09 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown
  Cc: Linux-ALSA, Takashi Iwai, S.j. Wang, Pierre-Louis Bossart,
	Liam Girdwood, Curtis Malainey, Guido Roncarolo

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 9:15 PM Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As in previous years we're going to have an audio miniconference so we can
> get together and talk through issues, especially design decisions, face to
> face.  This year's event will be held on October 31st in Lyon, France,
> the day after ELC-E.  This will be held at the Lyon Convention Center (the
> ELC-E venue) and will be free of charge to attend, generously
> sponsored by Intel.
>
> Thus far for the agenda we have:
>
>  - Use case management enhancements (Curtis)
>  - DSP framework integration (Liam?)
>  - Soundwire status (Pierre?)
>  - Componentisation status/plans (Me)

Hi Mark,

Thanks for taking care of this.

My topics:

- SOF driver: ACPI / DT unification
- SOF driver: Handling built-in driver use case

@ 2019-10-09 19:16 ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2019-10-09 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, alsa-devel; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood, Curtis Malainey

On 10/9/19 1:13 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As in previous years we're going to have an audio miniconference so we can
> get together and talk through issues, especially design decisions, face to
> face.  This year's event will be held on October 31st in Lyon, France,
> the day after ELC-E.  This will be held at the Lyon Convention Center (the
> ELC-E venue) and will be free of charge to attend, generously
> sponsored by Intel.
>
> Thus far for the agenda we have:
>
>   - Use case management enhancements (Curtis)
>   - DSP framework integration (Liam?)
>   - Soundwire status (Pierre?)

I am unfortunately not going to make it this year due to conflicts.

I will repost the 50-odd SoundWire patches we have when Vinod is back at
his desk. For now we have most of the issues ironed out, with all known
race conditions sorted out and with audio streaming to/from SoundWire
links on CometLake, IceLake and TigerLake, with 4 different codecs from
Realtek supported. We are trying to clean-up the last suspend/resume
issues in collaboration with Realtek.

The latest code is here if anyone is interested:

https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/tree/integration/soundwire-latest

The only big topic is the multi-cpu support. We will need to support
playback synchronized on multiple amplifiers/speakers, and our plan was
to create a dailink that connect 2 CPU dais (possibly dealing with
different links) to 2 codec DAIs.

The other interesting topic is the likely mix of SoundWire, I2S and yes
HDaudio links for some platforms. This will make the autodetection a bit
complex, not to mention all the possible topology variants. Ideally we
should limit this complexity by exposing different cards for the
different links with Ranjani's work on MFD.

We are also planning to try and use the Up Extreme board which exposes 2
SoundWire links on the 40-pin connector, this will make it simpler for
developers to get access to an open SoundWire-enabled platform and
extend the pool of codecs supported, as we did with Minnow and Up boards.

-Pierre

* Re: [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2019-10-10 15:57   ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2019-10-10 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Baluta
  Cc: Linux-ALSA, Takashi Iwai, S.j. Wang, Pierre-Louis Bossart,

On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 09:48:14PM +0300, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 9:15 PM Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:

> My topics:

I'll add these to the agenda.

> - SOF driver: ACPI / DT unification

Are there concrete plans to discuss here or is this more of a
"what are we doing" kind of thing?  ACPI standardization has been
an issue :/

> - SOF driver: Handling built-in driver use case

What's the issue here?

@ 2019-10-10 16:43     ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2019-10-10 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, Daniel Baluta
  Cc: Linux-ALSA, Takashi Iwai, S.j. Wang, Liam Girdwood,

On 10/10/19 10:57 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 09:48:14PM +0300, Daniel Baluta wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 9:15 PM Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:
>
>> My topics:
>
> I'll add these to the agenda.
>
>> - SOF driver: ACPI / DT unification
>
> Are there concrete plans to discuss here or is this more of a
> "what are we doing" kind of thing?  ACPI standardization has been
> an issue :/

I took this agenda item as "how machine drivers are handled in SOF".

Currently the core creates a platform device which will result in a
machine driver being probe and the card created. This is mainly due to
the lack of 'machine device' in existing DSDT tables. DT has explicit
support for machine drivers, so we need to have a solution that caters
to both.

>> - SOF driver: Handling built-in driver use case
>
> What's the issue here?

The SOF driver (or any existing driver with closed-source firmware) will
not work when compiled as built-in due to the request_firmware()
dependency. This wasn't too much of an issue for Intel so far, but for
i.MX platforms it's quite common to have no modules.

Daniel, did I get things right?

* Re: [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2019-10-10 19:43       ` Daniel Baluta
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2019-10-10 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart
  Cc: Linux-ALSA, Takashi Iwai, S.j. Wang, Liam Girdwood,
	Curtis Malainey, Mark Brown, Guido Roncarolo

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 10:21 PM Pierre-Louis Bossart
<pierre-louis.bossart@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 10/10/19 10:57 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 09:48:14PM +0300, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> >> On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 9:15 PM Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> >> My topics:
> >
> > I'll add these to the agenda.
> >
> >> - SOF driver: ACPI / DT unification
> >
> > Are there concrete plans to discuss here or is this more of a
> > "what are we doing" kind of thing?  ACPI standardization has been
> > an issue :/
>
> I took this agenda item as "how machine drivers are handled in SOF".
>
> Currently the core creates a platform device which will result in a
> machine driver being probe and the card created. This is mainly due to
> the lack of 'machine device' in existing DSDT tables. DT has explicit
> support for machine drivers, so we need to have a solution that caters
> to both.
>

> >> - SOF driver: Handling built-in driver use case
> >
> > What's the issue here?
>
> The SOF driver (or any existing driver with closed-source firmware) will
> not work when compiled as built-in due to the request_firmware()
> dependency. This wasn't too much of an issue for Intel so far, but for
> i.MX platforms it's quite common to have no modules.
>
> Daniel, did I get things right?

Yes, thanks for jumping in! This is exactly what I was thinking of.

Daniel.

* Re: [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2019-10-14 19:47 ` Liam Girdwood
From: Liam Girdwood @ 2019-10-14 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, alsa-devel
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Curtis Malainey, Pierre-Louis Bossart

On Wed, 2019-10-09 at 19:13 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As in previous years we're going to have an audio miniconference so
> we can
> get together and talk through issues, especially design decisions,
> face to
> face.  This year's event will be held on October 31st in Lyon,
> France,
> the day after ELC-E.  This will be held at the Lyon Convention Center
> (the
> ELC-E venue) and will be free of charge to attend, generously
> sponsored by Intel.
>
> Thus far for the agenda we have:
>
>  - Use case management enhancements (Curtis)
>  - DSP framework integration (Liam?)
>  - Soundwire status (Pierre?)
>  - Componentisation status/plans (Me)

Audio Virtualisation. (Me).

Liam

* Re: [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2019-10-14 20:16   ` Curtis Malainey
From: Curtis Malainey @ 2019-10-14 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Girdwood
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, ALSA development, Mark Brown, Pierre-Louis Bossart

Are we going to get a whatsApp chat going beforehand again like last year?

@ 2019-10-15 20:11   ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2019-10-15 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Girdwood
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Curtis Malainey, alsa-devel, Pierre-Louis Bossart

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 08:47:07PM +0100, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-10-09 at 19:13 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > Thus far for the agenda we have:

> >  - Use case management enhancements (Curtis)
> >  - DSP framework integration (Liam?)
> >  - Soundwire status (Pierre?)
> >  - Componentisation status/plans (Me)

> Audio Virtualisation. (Me).

Sure, I'll add that.

@ 2019-10-15 20:11     ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2019-10-15 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curtis Malainey
  Cc: Liam Girdwood, Takashi Iwai, ALSA development, Pierre-Louis Bossart

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 01:16:40PM -0700, Curtis Malainey wrote:

> Are we going to get a whatsApp chat going beforehand again like last year?

Seems sensible, will ping off-list nearer the time.

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-10-22 18:59 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2019-10-22 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood, Daniel Baluta, Curtis Malainey

As in previous years we're going to have an audio miniconference so we can
get together and talk through issues, especially design decisions, face to
face.  This year's event will be held on October 31st in Lyon, France,
the day after ELC-E.  This will be held at the Lyon Convention Center (the
ELC-E venue) and will be free of charge to attend, generously
sponsored by Intel.

Thus far for the agenda we have is:

 - Use case management enhancements (Curtis)
 - DSP framework integration (Liam)
  - SOF integration with ACPI and DT (Daniel)
  - SOF support for non-modular drivers (Daniel)
 - Soundwire status (Liam?)
  - Multi-CPU support
  - Mixing with HDA/I2S in a single system
 - Virtualization (Liam)

@ 2019-10-23  9:20   ` Jerome Brunet
From: Jerome Brunet @ 2019-10-23  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, alsa-devel
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood, Daniel Baluta, Curtis Malainey

On Tue 22 Oct 2019 at 20:59, Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As in previous years we're going to have an audio miniconference so we can
> get together and talk through issues, especially design decisions, face to
> face.  This year's event will be held on October 31st in Lyon, France,
> the day after ELC-E.  This will be held at the Lyon Convention Center (the
> ELC-E venue) and will be free of charge to attend, generously
> sponsored by Intel.
>
> Thus far for the agenda we have is:
>
>  - Use case management enhancements (Curtis)
>  - DSP framework integration (Liam)
>   - SOF integration with ACPI and DT (Daniel)
>   - SOF support for non-modular drivers (Daniel)
>  - Soundwire status (Liam?)
>   - Multi-CPU support
>   - Mixing with HDA/I2S in a single system
>  - Virtualization (Liam)
>  - Componentisation status/plans (Me)

I don't have a lot of experience with ASoC but I'd be happy to present
some of use cases I struggled with while adding support for the Amlogic
SoCs. Maybe this could serve as quick introduction to your part on
componentisation ?

@ 2019-10-23 16:53     ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2019-10-23 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Brunet
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood, alsa-devel, Curtis Malainey, Daniel Baluta

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 11:20:40AM +0200, Jerome Brunet wrote:

> I don't have a lot of experience with ASoC but I'd be happy to present
> some of use cases I struggled with while adding support for the Amlogic
> SoCs. Maybe this could serve as quick introduction to your part on
> componentisation ?

Ah, sorry - you had mentioned this before and I'd added it to the wrong
set of notes.  Yes, I think this'd be a good topic, let's add it.

@ 2019-10-24 14:20   ` Patrick Lai
From: Patrick Lai @ 2019-10-24 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, alsa-devel
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood, Daniel Baluta, Curtis Malainey

On 10/22/19 11:59 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
> Hi,

> As with previous years let's pull together an agenda through a mailing
> list discussion - if people could reply to this mail with any topics
> they'd like to discuss we can take it from there.  Of course if we can
> sort things out more quickly via the mailing list that's even better!

1. Gapless playback handling between two playbacks with different format
2. Passing timestamp along with buffer for both playback and capture
3. PCM device volume control
4. Unified audio graph building across multiple subsystems

Thanks
Patrick

a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project

* Re: [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2019-10-24 14:31     ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2019-10-24 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Lai, Mark Brown, alsa-devel
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood, Daniel Baluta, Curtis Malainey

On 10/24/19 9:20 AM, Patrick Lai wrote:
> On 10/22/19 11:59 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
>> Hi,
>

>> As with previous years let's pull together an agenda through a mailing
>> list discussion - if people could reply to this mail with any topics
>> they'd like to discuss we can take it from there.  Of course if we can
>> sort things out more quickly via the mailing list that's even better!
>
> 1. Gapless playback handling between two playbacks with different format

did you mean compressed formats?

@ 2019-10-24 19:15     ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2019-10-24 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Lai
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood, alsa-devel, Curtis Malainey, Daniel Baluta

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 07:20:02AM -0700, Patrick Lai wrote:

> 1. Gapless playback handling between two playbacks with different format
> 2. Passing timestamp along with buffer for both playback and capture
> 3. PCM device volume control
> 4. Unified audio graph building across multiple subsystems

OK, let's add these.

@ 2019-10-25  9:45       ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2019-10-25  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart
  Cc: Daniel Baluta, Takashi Iwai, Patrick Lai, alsa-devel,
	Liam Girdwood, Curtis Malainey, Mark Brown

On 24-10-19, 09:31, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:
> On 10/24/19 9:20 AM, Patrick Lai wrote:
> > On 10/22/19 11:59 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
> > > Hi,
> >

> > > As with previous years let's pull together an agenda through a mailing
> > > list discussion - if people could reply to this mail with any topics
> > > they'd like to discuss we can take it from there.  Of course if we can
> > > sort things out more quickly via the mailing list that's even better!
> >
> > 1. Gapless playback handling between two playbacks with different format
>
> did you mean compressed formats?

Yes this is for compressed formats. So, we do not allow users to set
parameters for gapless playback as the assumption is that we are in
album with same parameters for the subsequent tracks to be played.

But in case of some codecs like wma (and flac iirc) there can be changes
to next track using different wma formats which warrants change in
params.

Question is if this should be allowed and if so we need to propose a
change in API for this

@ 2019-10-25 10:05   ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2019-10-25 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood, alsa-devel, Mark Brown, Curtis Malainey

On 09-10-19, 14:16, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

> On 10/9/19 1:13 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As in previous years we're going to have an audio miniconference so we can
> > get together and talk through issues, especially design decisions, face to
> > face.  This year's event will be held on October 31st in Lyon, France,
> > the day after ELC-E.  This will be held at the Lyon Convention Center (the
> > ELC-E venue) and will be free of charge to attend, generously
> > sponsored by Intel.
> >
> > Thus far for the agenda we have:
> >
> >   - Use case management enhancements (Curtis)
> >   - DSP framework integration (Liam?)
> >   - Soundwire status (Pierre?)
>
> I am unfortunately not going to make it this year due to conflicts.
>
> I will repost the 50-odd SoundWire patches we have when Vinod is back at his
> desk. For now we have most of the issues ironed out, with all known race
> conditions sorted out and with audio streaming to/from SoundWire links on
> CometLake, IceLake and TigerLake, with 4 different codecs from Realtek
> supported. We are trying to clean-up the last suspend/resume issues in
> collaboration with Realtek.

Apart from x86 world, on arm side support for QC controller is on it way
to upstream (core already supports DT) and we did a demo on Dragon Board
RB3  at Connect SAN19 which uses SoundWire to talk to codec. Srini has
posted codec driver as well as master driver on ML, hopefully we will
have that merged before next merge window.

--
~Vinod

* Re: [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2019-10-25 14:27         ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2019-10-25 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul
  Cc: Daniel Baluta, Takashi Iwai, Patrick Lai, alsa-devel,

On 10/25/19 4:45 AM, Vinod Koul wrote:
> On 24-10-19, 09:31, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

>>> 1. Gapless playback handling between two playbacks with different format
>>
>> did you mean compressed formats?
>
> Yes this is for compressed formats. So, we do not allow users to set
> parameters for gapless playback as the assumption is that we are in
> album with same parameters for the subsequent tracks to be played.
>
> But in case of some codecs like wma (and flac iirc) there can be changes
> to next track using different wma formats which warrants change in
> params.
>
> Question is if this should be allowed and if so we need to propose a
> change in API for this

Gapless playback between compressed tracks needs to take the filter
history/delay into account. The encoding/decoding process results in
zero-values samples at the beginning of the file, and you need to flush
the output likewise if you want all the samples. IIRC there is an I3D
tag that tells you how many samples need to be skipped when you decode a
new track, but I don't think this would work if the preceding track has
a different format and hence filter delay/history.

E.g. if you assume the preceding track has a 256 sample filter delay,
and if you switch to a track where the I3D tag tells you to remove the
first 1024 samples, clearly something will go wrong. You'd need extra
work in your firmware you have the two decoders co-exist for some time
while you flush the previous history buffer and stitch it with the new
samples. This leads to extra issues in terms of DSP resources.

And now that I think of it, I don't think we have a means to instantiate
a second decoder on the same stream while it's running, you'd likely
need two streams and a fancy stitching in your firmware.

And if you want this to work in Android, you'd also need extra streams
in the HAL, and likely some changes in the media parts.

@ 2019-10-25 17:26       ` Patrick Lai
From: Patrick Lai @ 2019-10-25 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart, Mark Brown, alsa-devel
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood, Daniel Baluta, Curtis Malainey

On 10/24/19 7:31 AM, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:
> On 10/24/19 9:20 AM, Patrick Lai wrote:
>> On 10/22/19 11:59 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>

>>> As with previous years let's pull together an agenda through a mailing
>>> list discussion - if people could reply to this mail with any topics
>>> they'd like to discuss we can take it from there.  Of course if we can
>>> sort things out more quickly via the mailing list that's even better!
>>
>> 1. Gapless playback handling between two playbacks with different format
>
> did you mean compressed formats?

Yes, compress format