* Reducing the size of the image by optimizing python
@ 2019-10-18  7:49 Abhi Arora
From: Abhi Arora @ 2019-10-18  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,
I am having an embedded system. We have bsp with python 3.5 but we want to reduce its size further. I am planning to have only oyc files but not sure how it can be achieved in recipes. Also, I want to know if there is a other way to reduce the footprint.

Please help.

* Re: Reducing the size of the image by optimizing python
@ 2019-10-18  8:58 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2019-10-18  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhi Arora; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 1:21 PM Abhi Arora <abhiarora4@live.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am having an embedded system. We have bsp with python 3.5 but we want to
> reduce its size further. I am planning to have only oyc files but not sure
> how it can be achieved in recipes. Also, I want to know if there is a other
> way to reduce the footprint.

Please start by eliminating modules first so find which modules are
required for your workloads and remove all other modules from image by
adding them to BAD_RECOMMENDATIONS from IMAGE_INSTALL

@ 2019-10-19 12:45   ` Abhi Arora
From: Abhi Arora @ 2019-10-19 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

Thanks for the reply. Can you help me which file to modify to prevent downloading certain packages and modules using BAD_RECOMMENDATION?

And how to have only pyc files in the final image to improve speed and reduce footprint?

Following are the lines in my yocto project which install python packages.

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " \
    python3 \
    python3-core \
    python3-misc \
    python3-async \
    python3-six \
    python3-websockets \
    python3-requests \
    python3-urllib3 \
    python3-chardet \
    python3-websocket-client \
    python3-pyopenssl \
    python3-simplejson \
    python3-cython \

Pardon for some stupid questions as I am new to yocto.

________________________________

@ 2019-10-19 14:34     ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2019-10-19 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhi Arora, Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

On Sat, 2019-10-19 at 12:45 +0000, Abhi Arora wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. Can you help me which file to modify to prevent
> downloading certain packages and modules using BAD_RECOMMENDATION?
>
> And how to have only pyc files in the final image to improve speed
> and reduce footprint?
>
> Following are the lines in my yocto project which install python
> packages.
>
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " \
>     python3 \
>     python3-core \
>     python3-misc \
>     python3-async \
>     python3-six \
>     python3-websockets \
>     python3-requests \
>     python3-urllib3 \
>     python3-chardet \
>     python3-websocket-client \
>     python3-pyopenssl \
>     python3-simplejson \
>     python3-cython \
>
> Pardon for some stupid questions as I am new to yocto.

Take python3-misc out that list as its huge. See if anything breaks, if
so, try and install just what you need, not the large "catchall"
package.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: Reducing the size of the image by optimizing python
@ 2019-10-19 14:55       ` Abhi Arora
From: Abhi Arora @ 2019-10-19 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie, Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

Thanks your for the suggestion.

From where I can find out what modules and packages python3-misc downloads and installs? I am new to yocto and Don't know where to look for. I tried grep but didn't help me.

And how about optimization using pyc file? Is it doable?

________________________________

@ 2019-10-19 15:10         ` richard.purdie
       [not found]           ` <1b153bce-a66a-45ee-a5c6-963ea6fb1c82.949ef384-8293-46b8-903f-40a477c056ae.4240ac9c-b01f-45e6-9070-5b2736653819@emailsignatures365.codetwo.com>
From: richard.purdie @ 2019-10-19 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhi Arora, Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

On Sat, 2019-10-19 at 14:55 +0000, Abhi Arora wrote:
> Thanks your for the suggestion.
>
> From where I can find out what modules and packages python3-misc
> downloads and installs? I am new to yocto and Don't know where to
> look for. I tried grep but didn't help me.

python3-misc is a package. You can look at its dependencies to see what
it adds to the image.

> And how about optimization using pyc file? Is it doable?

Start simple. If you have python3-misc installed its using a lot of
space and is the sensible place to start with trimming things down.

Optimising to just pyc files is an optimisation further than most
people find they need and will be much harder to do.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: Reducing the size of the image by optimizing python
@ 2019-10-19 15:21           ` Yann Dirson
From: Yann Dirson @ 2019-10-19 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: richard.purdie; +Cc: yocto

You can also look at the package dependency graph (see the file
generated by bitbake -g) to get a better idea of what pulls what.

<richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org>:
> On Sat, 2019-10-19 at 14:55 +0000, Abhi Arora wrote:
>> Thanks your for the suggestion.
>>
>> From where I can find out what modules and packages python3-misc
>> downloads and installs? I am new to yocto and Don't know where to
>> look for. I tried grep but didn't help me.
>
> python3-misc is a package. You can look at its dependencies to see what
> it adds to the image.
>
>> And how about optimization using pyc file? Is it doable?
>
> Start simple. If you have python3-misc installed its using a lot of
> space and is the sensible place to start with trimming things down.
>
> Optimising to just pyc files is an optimisation further than most
> people find they need and will be much harder to do.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

Yann Dirson <yann@blade-group.com>
Blade / Shadow -- http://shadow.tech

* Re: Reducing the size of the image by optimizing python
@ 2019-10-19 16:32             ` Abhi Arora
From: Abhi Arora @ 2019-10-19 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann Dirson, richard.purdie; +Cc: yocto

Thank you for being patient.

I am unable to find out python3-misc package online. Neither "sudo apt-get install python3-misc" helps me nor "pip install python3-misc".

I am a newbie, please help me what kind of package it is and where to find it.

I am planning to install it in my host machine and see if I am able to run my scripts and manually add or remove modules and python packages to get minimal required system for my scripts.

For that I need to access python3-misc and what it installs.

________________________________

@ 2019-10-20 10:59               ` Josef Holzmayr
From: Josef Holzmayr @ 2019-10-20 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhi Arora; +Cc: yocto

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 04:32:26PM +0000, Abhi Arora wrote:
> I am planning to install it in my host machine and see if I am able to run my scripts and manually add or remove modules and python packages to get minimal required system for my scripts.
>
> For that I need to access python3-misc and what it installs.

Its not something that directly corresponds to a standard desktop
distribution. Rather, its "everything that would otherwise be left
behind", see:

https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/recipes-devtools/python/python3_3.7.4.bb#n323

So its just like the advice was already: remove it, see what breaks, and
then add smaller bits and pieces again until everything works as
desired.

Greetz

> ________________________________

———————————————
Josef Holzmayr
Software Developer Embedded Systems

Tel: +49 8444 9204-48
Fax: +49 8444 9204-50

R-S-I Elektrotechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Woelkestrasse 11
D-85301 Schweitenkirchen
www.rsi-elektrotechnik.de
———————————————
Amtsgericht Ingolstadt – GmbH: HRB 191328 – KG: HRA 170393
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Sorg, Dipl.-Ing. Franz Sorg
Ust-IdNr: DE 128592548

Amtsgericht Ingolstadt - GmbH: HRB 191328 - KG: HRA 170363

@ 2019-10-20 15:29                 ` Abhi Arora
From: Abhi Arora @ 2019-10-20 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Holzmayr; +Cc: yocto

Hello,
I have listed the python modules and packages that I don't want. Someone recommended to list them with BAD_RECOMMENDATION. Can someone help me where this variable should go?

Thank you.

________________________________
On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 04:32:26PM +0000, Abhi Arora wrote:
> I am planning to install it in my host machine and see if I am able to run my scripts and manually add or remove modules and python packages to get minimal required system for my scripts.
>
> For that I need to access python3-misc and what it installs.

Its not something that directly corresponds to a standard desktop
distribution. Rather, its "everything that would otherwise be left
behind", see:

https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/recipes-devtools/python/python3_3.7.4.bb#n323

So its just like the advice was already: remove it, see what breaks, and
then add smaller bits and pieces again until everything works as
desired.

Greetz

> ________________________________

www.rsi-elektrotechnik.de<http://www.rsi-elektrotechnik.de>
———————————————

@ 2019-10-21  9:09     ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2019-10-21  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 19/10/2019 13:45, Abhi Arora wrote:
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " \
>      python3 \

^^^^

This is installing "all of python".  If you want to trim your Python
installation then don't do that, instead determine what libraries you
*actually* need and explicitly add those.

Ross

* Re: Reducing the size of the image by optimizing python
       [not found]             ` <1b153bce-a66a-45ee-a5c6-963ea6fb1c82.0d2bd5fa-15cc-4b27-b94e-83614f9e5b38.bf5d2683-0b1e-4651-b4bc-cad3e441cbf0@emailsignatures365.codetwo.com>
@ 2019-10-21 11:50               ` Mike Looijmans
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2019-10-21 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

> Optimising to just pyc files is an optimisation further than most
> people find they need and will be much harder to do.

It's actually quite simple, just add a bbappend to the python recipe that puts
all .py files into the "dbg" or newly created "src" package. Or simply delete
all .py files in a do_install_append.

Here's an example of the "src" approach:

https://github.com/OpenPLi/openpli-oe-core/blob/develop/meta-openpli/recipes-devtools/python/python_2.7.13.bbappend

Simply doing this in the bbappend might also work (untested):

do_install_append() {
	find ${D}${libdir}/python${PYTHON_MAJMIN}/ -name '*.py' -remove
}

Removing the ".py" files roughly cuts the disk space in half.

The "src" approach works on any package, and has the advantage that you can
still install the source files for debugging and development.

Met vriendelijke groet / kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Embedded Products B.V.