From: "Torsten Bögershausen" <tboegi@web.de>
To: Derrick Stolee <stolee@gmail.com>
Cc: Git List <git@vger.kernel.org>, Jeff King <peff@peff.net>
Subject: Re: Git Test Coverage Report (October 11)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 19:00:49 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 09:33:11AM -0400, Derrick Stolee wrote:
> Here is today's test coverage report. The usual report format is
> available online [1], [2]. The report listed below is a new format
> that groups lines by the commit that introduced them [3]. Thanks
> Peff for the feedback on that idea.

[]

> Torsten Bögershausen	ebb8d2c9 mingw: support UNC in git clone file://server/share/repo
> connect.c
> ebb8d2c9 921) path = host - 2; /* include the leading "//" */

I actually looked into this one, and my understanding is that the code path
makes only sense for windows and is only tested on Windows in t5500.
(Linux/Unix/POSIX don't use UNC path names starting with "//" )

How can we avoid those "not covered by test" warnings?

One solution could be to use

#ifndef has_dos_drive_prefix
#define has_dos_drive_prefix(a) 0
#endif

in git-compat-util.h and hope that the compiler is smart enough
to optimize away that line of code.

Another way could be to have #ifdefs in connect.c, so that it
is clear "this is Windows only".

Or make a comment for the "cover report" saying "not covered".

Are there any good or better thoughts on this ?