On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 01:11:22PM +0000, Xia, Hongyan wrote: > It is certainly nice to have less users of the direct map. My non-EFI > builds already work without the direct map now but once I start testing > EFI, it is nice to have one less thing to worry about. Note this is just yet another EFI info that's included there. Others are: efi_ct, efi_memmap, efi_fw_vendor. So, if you'd like to get rid of directmap, you'll need to handle the others too in some way. Doing that for 3 or 4 tables shouldn't make significant difference. > How important and performance-critical is this? If we really want to > avoid switching the page table, we could reserve a virtual range and > map it to runtime services in Xen. Honestly I don't think that's very critical. The biggest improvement is for XEN_FW_EFI_RT_VERSION, where you avoid switching page tables at all. In other cases, you avoid that for too old UEFIs only. Anyway, I think none of it is on a hot path. This is an optimization suggested by Jan, which is nice to have, but definitely isn't the only possible option. -- Best Regards, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki Invisible Things Lab A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?