On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 04:25:17PM +0100, Stefano Garzarella wrote: > On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 10:59:48AM +0100, Stefano Garzarella wrote: > > On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 09:34:58AM +0000, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote: > > > On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 12:01:19PM +0100, Stefano Garzarella wrote: > > > > +static struct workqueue_struct *vsock_loopback_workqueue; > > > > +static struct vsock_loopback *the_vsock_loopback; > > > > > > the_vsock_loopback could be a static global variable (not a pointer) and > > > vsock_loopback_workqueue could also be included in the struct. > > > > > > The RCU pointer is really a way to synchronize vsock_loopback_send_pkt() > > > and vsock_loopback_cancel_pkt() with module exit. There is no other > > > reason for using a pointer. > > > > > > It's cleaner to implement the synchronization once in af_vsock.c (or > > > virtio_transport_common.c) instead of making each transport do it. > > > Maybe try_module_get() and related APIs provide the necessary semantics > > > so that core vsock code can hold the transport module while it's being > > > used to send/cancel a packet. > > > > Right, the module cannot be unloaded until open sockets, so here the > > synchronization is not needed. > > > > The synchronization come from virtio-vsock device that can be > > hot-unplugged while sockets are still open, but that can't happen here. > > > > I will remove the pointers and RCU in the v2. > > > > Can I keep your R-b or do you prefer to watch v2 first? I'd like to review v2. > > > > +MODULE_ALIAS_NETPROTO(PF_VSOCK); > > > > > > Why does this module define the alias for PF_VSOCK? Doesn't another > > > module already define this alias? > > > > It is a way to load this module when PF_VSOCK is starting to be used. > > MODULE_ALIAS_NETPROTO(PF_VSOCK) is already defined in vmci_transport > > and hyperv_transport. IIUC it is used for the same reason. > > > > In virtio_transport we don't need it because it will be loaded when > > the PCI device is discovered. > > > > Do you think there's a better way? > > Should I include the vsock_loopback transport directly in af_vsock > > without creating a new module? > > > > That last thing I said may not be possible: > I remembered that I tried, but DEPMOD found a cyclic dependency because > vsock_transport use virtio_transport_common that use vsock, so if I > include vsock_transport in the vsock module, DEPMOD is not happy. > > Do you think it's okay in this case to keep MODULE_ALIAS_NETPROTO(PF_VSOCK) > or is there a better way? The reason I asked is because the semantics of duplicate module aliases aren't clear to me. Do all modules with the same alias get loaded? Or just the first? Or ...? Stefan