On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 12:26:32AM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote: > Il mar 4 feb 2020, 00:20 Alexey Kardashevskiy ha scritto: > > > > > > > Speaking seriously, what would I put into the guest? > > Only things that would be considered drivers. Ignore the partitions issue > for now so that you can just pass the device tree services to QEMU with > hypercalls. Urgh... first, I don't really see how you'd do that. OF's whole device model is based around the device tree. So implementing OF driver interactions would require the firmware to do a bunch of internal hypercalls to do all the DT stuff, which brings us back to a much more complex and active interface between firmware and hypervisor than we really want. Second, drivers are kind of where we'd get the most benefit by putting them in qemu: from qemu we can just talk to the device backends directly so we don't need to re-abstract the differences between different device models of the same type. > Netboot's dhcp/tftp/ip/ipv6 client? It is going to be another SLOF, > > smaller but adhoc with only a couple of people knowing it. Netboot I will grant is a pretty thorny problem, whichever way we tackle it. > You can generalize and reuse the s390 code. All you have to write is the > PCI scan and virtio-pci setup. If we assume virtio only. In any case it sounds like the s390 code is actually based on the SLOF code anyway. -- David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_ | _way_ _around_! http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson