On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 12:07:06PM +0530, Vishwanatha Subbanna wrote: > Thanks for the good discussion on this. > > Patrick, I see you mentioned the TimeOwner in your response. TimeOwner was > another thing that was disliked by the users and I had sent an email couple > months ago asking if anyone still needs it. I did not see anyone saying they > need. I then proposed removing TimeOwner feature. > > So, if we want to make it simpler, we would want to: > > - Remove TimeOwner concept > - Remove the deferred updates to Manual / NTP settings. > > Please let me know if you see anything that might be affected by this ?. I tried to provide history as best as I recollect, mostly to be helpful. As I've mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Facebook servers use a Host-owned RTC. Unless someone can speak to non-Power servers that have a BMC-owned RTC, this might only affect IBM(*). You'll need to decide what impact removing this feature may have to you and your customers. If you'd like to put together a proposal and seek feedback on what the potential side effects for specific customer classes might be, I can certainly do that, but right now I don't really have enough information on what the "new" design would be just from those two bullets. (*) - And OpenPower. -- Patrick Williams