* B4 and gmail integration features
@ 2020-03-20 21:45 Konstantin Ryabitsev
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2020-03-20 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, tools

Hi, all:

For my next B4 trick, I plan to add some basic gmail integration --
since I know many of you do use gmail.

By default it will do nothing, of course, but if Gmail API is enabled
and we find a successful authorization token, we can automatically do
the following:

1. Grab threads from your gmail account in order to backfill any missing
   messages that aren't on lore.kernel.org for some reason
2. After "b4 am", add an "Applied" label to any matching messages in
   your inbox
3. Optionally, also send a "thanks, applied" templated reply after you
   do "b4 am"

(#3 will also be available if we find a sendemail.smtpserver.)

Is that useful? Anything else I should be looking at?

-K

* Re: [kernel.org users] B4 and gmail integration features
@ 2020-03-20 21:49 ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2020-03-20 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev, users, tools

On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 17:45 -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:

> 3. Optionally, also send a "thanks, applied" templated reply after you
>    do "b4 am"

I've always thought that somehow this ought to be delayed somehow, since
I may apply a patch just to look at it, or to run tests, etc. and then
really only make up my mind when I push it out ...

johannes

* Re: [kernel.org users] B4 and gmail integration features
@ 2020-03-20 22:01   ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2020-03-20 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: users, tools

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 10:49:13PM +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 17:45 -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> >
> > 3. Optionally, also send a "thanks, applied" templated reply after you
> >    do "b4 am"
>
> I've always thought that somehow this ought to be delayed somehow, since
> I may apply a patch just to look at it, or to run tests, etc. and then
> really only make up my mind when I push it out ...

How about we just "remember to thank" and have a separate command "b4
thank" which will interactively verify patch/series before actually
sending out the "thanks, applied"?

@ 2020-03-20 22:03     ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2020-03-20 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev, Johannes Berg; +Cc: users, tools

On 3/20/20 4:01 PM, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 10:49:13PM +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
>> On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 17:45 -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
>>>
>>> 3. Optionally, also send a "thanks, applied" templated reply after you
>>>    do "b4 am"
>>
>> I've always thought that somehow this ought to be delayed somehow, since
>> I may apply a patch just to look at it, or to run tests, etc. and then
>> really only make up my mind when I push it out ...
>
> How about we just "remember to thank" and have a separate command "b4
> thank" which will interactively verify patch/series before actually
> sending out the "thanks, applied"?

Have the option to do it while applying as well, sometimes a series
has been carefully reviewed already and you are ready to apply.

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: [kernel.org users] B4 and gmail integration features
@ 2020-03-20 22:03     ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2020-03-20 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: users, tools

On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 18:01 -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 10:49:13PM +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 17:45 -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> > > 3. Optionally, also send a "thanks, applied" templated reply after you
> > >    do "b4 am"
> >
> > I've always thought that somehow this ought to be delayed somehow, since
> > I may apply a patch just to look at it, or to run tests, etc. and then
> > really only make up my mind when I push it out ...
>
> How about we just "remember to thank" and have a separate command "b4
> thank" which will interactively verify patch/series before actually
> sending out the "thanks, applied"?

I think that'd be useful, at least as an option.

Even better if you could run a script there to thank, so that could e.g.
also close patchwork patches at that stage? Once we get patchwork with
msgids :)

johannes

* Re: [tools] B4 and gmail integration features
@ 2020-03-23 12:06 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2020-03-23 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tools; +Cc: users

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 05:45:32PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:

> 3. Optionally, also send a "thanks, applied" templated reply after you
>    do "b4 am"

> (#3 will also be available if we find a sendemail.smtpserver.)

As well as the deferral for testing/applying it'd be helpful if this
supported /usr/lib/sendmail as well as a SMTP server - it's useful to
centralize credentials and otherwise actually applying things is an
offline operation.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [kernel.org users] B4 and gmail integration features
@ 2020-03-23 12:16 ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2020-03-23 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: users, tools

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 05:45:32PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> Hi, all:
>
> For my next B4 trick, I plan to add some basic gmail integration --
> since I know many of you do use gmail.

FWIW, I've done some work on this here to avoid the 'OAUTH Apocalypse'
that is coming. You may find the oauth code helpful:

https://github.com/jgunthorpe/cloud_mdir_sync

Getting an oauth application from Google is a bit hard unfortunately.

> 3. Optionally, also send a "thanks, applied" templated reply after you
>    do "b4 am"
>
> (#3 will also be available if we find a sendemail.smtpserver.)

If you have a gmail credential then send email can be done over REST
too.

I would second what other people say, my usual work flow is to apply
to get, evaluate and then ack the messages. Today I have a small
script to open the thread covering the patches in git in Mutt so I can
fiddle as I like.

Would enjoy a b4 command to mark git commits as applied in patchworks
based on their Link: header :)

Jason

* Re: [kernel.org users] B4 and gmail integration features
@ 2020-03-27 12:53   ` Ludovic Desroches
From: Ludovic Desroches @ 2020-03-27 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgg, konstantin; +Cc: users, tools

On 3/23/2020 1:16 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click links or open attachments unless you know the content is safe
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 05:45:32PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
>> Hi, all:
>>
>> For my next B4 trick, I plan to add some basic gmail integration --
>> since I know many of you do use gmail.
>
> FWIW, I've done some work on this here to avoid the 'OAUTH Apocalypse'
> that is coming. You may find the oauth code helpful:
>
> https://github.com/jgunthorpe/cloud_mdir_sync

Thanks a lot for this tool. We have an Exchange server with IMAP support
disabled recently. It has broken my mail workflow.

I didn't play much yet with your tool but first tests are encouraging to
be able to use notmuch and mutt again.

Regards

Ludovic

@ 2020-03-27 13:14     ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2020-03-27 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic.Desroches; +Cc: konstantin, users, tools

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 12:53:57PM +0000, Ludovic.Desroches@microchip.com wrote:
> On 3/23/2020 1:16 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 05:45:32PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> >> Hi, all:
> >>
> >> For my next B4 trick, I plan to add some basic gmail integration --
> >> since I know many of you do use gmail.
> >
> > FWIW, I've done some work on this here to avoid the 'OAUTH Apocalypse'
> > that is coming. You may find the oauth code helpful:
> >
> > https://github.com/jgunthorpe/cloud_mdir_sync
>
> Thanks a lot for this tool. We have an Exchange server with IMAP support
> disabled recently. It has broken my mail workflow.

Yes, we are looking to a similar future.

I hope in a month or so I can show how to make IMAP work again with an
OAUTH helper, but this tool turned out well and is nicer than mutt's
built in IMAP or mbsync..

> I didn't play much yet with your tool but first tests are encouraging to
> be able to use notmuch and mutt again.

Consider it 'beta' at the momement, would be interested in feedback

Regards,
Jason

* Re: [kernel.org users] B4 and gmail integration features
@ 2020-03-27 13:34       ` Ludovic Desroches
From: Ludovic Desroches @ 2020-03-27 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgg; +Cc: konstantin, users, tools

On 3/27/2020 2:14 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click links or open attachments unless you know the content is safe
>
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 12:53:57PM +0000, Ludovic.Desroches@microchip.com wrote:

>>> FWIW, I've done some work on this here to avoid the 'OAUTH Apocalypse'
>>> that is coming. You may find the oauth code helpful:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/jgunthorpe/cloud_mdir_sync
>>
>> Thanks a lot for this tool. We have an Exchange server with IMAP support
>> disabled recently. It has broken my mail workflow.
>
> Yes, we are looking to a similar future.
>
> I hope in a month or so I can show how to make IMAP work again with an
> OAUTH helper, but this tool turned out well and is nicer than mutt's
> built in IMAP or mbsync..
>
>> I didn't play much yet with your tool but first tests are encouraging to
>> be able to use notmuch and mutt again.
>
> Consider it 'beta' at the momement, would be interested in feedback

Sure. I already have one question. I noticed that if I remove a mail
from the server, it is also removed locally. That's good as I deal with
my mails on two computers. I wonder how it will behave with email
retention? I fear it removes the mails from my local maildir...

Regards

Ludovic

@ 2020-03-27 13:46         ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2020-03-27 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic.Desroches; +Cc: konstantin, users, tools

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 01:34:39PM +0000, Ludovic.Desroches@microchip.com wrote:
> On 3/27/2020 2:14 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click links or open attachments unless you know the content is safe

> >> Thanks a lot for this tool. We have an Exchange server with IMAP support
> >> disabled recently. It has broken my mail workflow.
> >
> > Yes, we are looking to a similar future.
> >
> > I hope in a month or so I can show how to make IMAP work again with an
> > OAUTH helper, but this tool turned out well and is nicer than mutt's
> > built in IMAP or mbsync..
> >
> >> I didn't play much yet with your tool but first tests are encouraging to
> >> be able to use notmuch and mutt again.
> >
> > Consider it 'beta' at the momement, would be interested in feedback
>
> Sure. I already have one question. I noticed that if I remove a mail
> from the server, it is also removed locally. That's good as I deal with
> my mails on two computers. I wonder how it will behave with email
> retention? I fear it removes the mails from my local maildir...

Right, the local maildir always matches the cloud mailbox, and extra
local mails are deleted to make them match.

Keeping a local archive would need some new feature - for instance to
de-dup and insert encountered messages into a public inbox.

Jason