On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 01:49:34PM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote: > On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 2:52 PM Stefan Schaeckeler wrote: > > > > This patch is based on Andy Lutomirski's iMC SMBus driver patch-set > > https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/4/28/926. It never made it into the kernel. I hope > > this rewrite will: > > > > > > Overview > > > > Modern Intel memory controllers host an SMBus controller and connection to > > DIMMs and their thermal sensors. The memory controller firmware has three modes > > of operation: Closed Loop Thermal Throttling (CLTT), Open Loop Thermal > > Throttling (OLTT) and none. > > > > - CLTT: The memory controller firmware is periodically accessing the DIMM > > temperature sensor over the SMBus. > > > > > I think this is great! One question, though: what happens if the > system is in CLTT mode but you disable CLTT and claim the bus for too > long? For example, if there's an infinite loop or other lockup which > you have the tsod polling interval set to 0? Does the system catch > fire or does the system do something intelligent like temporarily > switching to open loop? Any news on this question?