From: "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@redhat.com>
To: "Eftime, Petre" <epetre@amazon.com>
Cc: "virtio-comment@lists.oasis-open.org"
	<virtio-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: Re: [virtio-comment] Seeking guidance for custom virtIO device
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 07:46:08 -0400	[thread overview]

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 09:36:58AM +0000, Eftime, Petre wrote:
> If not, what is the path to having our device live somewhere in the
> virtio world?

Basically submit a spec patch, address review comments, eventually
ask for a TC vote to include it. Reserving an ID is a helpful
first step for many people since that lets you write
guest and host patches.

> If there is no reason to include our device in the spec
> proper, we at least want to reserve an identifier for it, to prevent
> accidental collisions with other devices. I see that there are other
> devices which are rather specialized and not yet formalized listed in
> the spec, but I don't fully graps what steps I need to take in order
> to get an ID. Would submitting a patch with the ID be enough?

Almost.
https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec#use-of-github-issues
see text beginning with:
"To request a TC vote on resolving a specific comment:"

https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec#providing-feedback
is also helpful.

--
MST

This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
before posting.

Subscribe: virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
Feedback License: https://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf
Committee: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/virtio/