From: Vernon Mauery <vernon.mauery@linux.intel.com>
To: Milton Miller II <miltonm@us.ibm.com>
Cc: OpenBMC Development <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Re: ipmi password storage
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 12:14:44 -0700	[thread overview]

On 14-Apr-2020 06:04 PM, Milton Miller II wrote:
>On Apr 13, 2020 around 6:01PM in some time zone, Vernon Mauery wrote:
>>
>>Internally, an issue was raised that basically says that the
>>mechanism
>>by which we are storing the IPMI passwords on the BMC is
>>insufficiently
>>obfuscated. I have come up with a patch set that resolves this at the
>>
>>expense of no downgrading the BMC without the side-effect of losing
>>all
>>IPMI passwords. I would like to know what the community thinks about
>>usability vs. security in this scenario.

>>The migration from the old mechanism to the new could be done simply>by
>>using the new key on the next write to the /etc/ipmi_pass file. After
>>firmware update to this new code, a password change would trigger a
>>decrypt of the /etc/ipmi_pass file, a modification of the plain text,
>>
>>and a re-encryption of the data. If it reads the 'legacy' key in and
>>writes out the data using the new key mechanism and deletes the
>>legacy
>>key, it would use the new key mechanism from that point onward.
>>However,
>>this would cause any downgrades to prior versions to fail to decrypt
>>the
>>/etc/ipmi_pass file, thereby losing all the ipmi passwords. This is
>>not
>>ideal, but could possibly be mitigating by truncating the new
>>machine-id
>>derivative password to 8 bytes and storing it in the /etc/key_file
>>instead of just deleting it. This might improve security only
>>slightly
>>at for the price of a better user experience.
>>

>I'll point out the code to handle the new password could be added
>before the cdoe to use the new method, allowing test and revert
>until the users are upgraded to the new method.  It does require
>both methods to be supported.

Yes, it looks like any sort of change here would need to be a staged
change to reduce the disruption.

>I didn't follow why currently all openbmc systems end up with
>the same encryption^Wobsfucation for what that is worth.

Unless the build has a bbappend that changes the contents of the
key_file that is a part of the pam-ipmi package, all of the builds will
contain that same key_file. I can't say for sure how many builds have
this already, but I did not see much documentation around that fact that
would have spurred people to take action, so it is my assumption that
most builds would use the default.

--Vernon