* Couple questions about Dunfell
@ 2020-04-25 22:57 Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2020-04-25 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-arm

Hi, Jon,

I had couple questions:

1. What is the time frame for branching off Dunfell?

2. What is the policy for backporting to Dunfell?

I've got several patches in the pipeline that I'm testing and wanted to know
my options.

Thanks.

--
Denys

* Re: [meta-arm] Couple questions about Dunfell
@ 2020-04-29  9:31 ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2020-04-29  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-arm

hi,

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 12:57 AM Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@denix.org> wrote:

> Hi, Jon,
>
> I had couple questions:
>
> 1. What is the time frame for branching off Dunfell?
>
> 2. What is the policy for backporting to Dunfell?

I am definitely interested in these questions, or rather in the answers to
these questions! Since dunfell is LTS, I would expect a dunfell branch to
be maintained in meta-arm.

@ 2020-05-01 13:28   ` Jon Mason
From: Jon Mason @ 2020-05-01 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-arm

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:31:57AM +0200, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 12:57 AM Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@denix.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Jon,
> >
> > I had couple questions:
> >
> > 1. What is the time frame for branching off Dunfell?

TL;DR:  Mid-May

We have a chicken-egg problem with the Gem5 support and Python2.
We've been doing all of our testing (until recently) on zeus.  This is
because we wanted to make sure any issues we encountered were ours and
not an upstream issue.  For dunfell, the current Gem5 support has a
requirement for meta-python2.  To add this to our internal git repos
and test infrastructure would be painful.  However, the upcoming
release for Gem5 removes such a dependency.  This release is scheduled
for May 15th.  So, we can either go through a bunch of work that will
be thrown away or wait a couple extra weeks.  We chose the latter.

As a stop gap, we are using the beta version of the new Gem5 release
to make sure everything is in working order and we should be able to
cut a release very quickly once it is out.

> > 2. What is the policy for backporting to Dunfell?
> >

> I am definitely interested in these questions, or rather in the answers to
> these questions! Since dunfell is LTS, I would expect a dunfell branch to
> be maintained in meta-arm.

The dunfell branch is planned to be a stable branch.   Only bug fixes,
no features.  If an exception is to be made (which I really, really
don't want to do), then it would be predicated on getting the relevant
parts into the master branch of meta-arm.

> > I've got several patches in the pipeline that I'm testing and wanted to
> > know
> > my options.

More than what you've already pushed?

Thanks,
Jon

@ 2020-05-01 18:07     ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2020-05-01 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-arm

On Fri, May 01, 2020 at 09:28:39AM -0400, Jon Mason wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:31:57AM +0200, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 12:57 AM Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@denix.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, Jon,
> > >
> > > I had couple questions:
> > >
> > > 1. What is the time frame for branching off Dunfell?
>
> TL;DR:  Mid-May
>
> We have a chicken-egg problem with the Gem5 support and Python2.
> We've been doing all of our testing (until recently) on zeus.  This is
> because we wanted to make sure any issues we encountered were ours and
> not an upstream issue.  For dunfell, the current Gem5 support has a
> requirement for meta-python2.  To add this to our internal git repos
> and test infrastructure would be painful.  However, the upcoming
> release for Gem5 removes such a dependency.  This release is scheduled
> for May 15th.  So, we can either go through a bunch of work that will
> be thrown away or wait a couple extra weeks.  We chose the latter.
>
> As a stop gap, we are using the beta version of the new Gem5 release
> to make sure everything is in working order and we should be able to
> cut a release very quickly once it is out.
>
> > > 2. What is the policy for backporting to Dunfell?
> >
> > I am definitely interested in these questions, or rather in the answers to
> > these questions! Since dunfell is LTS, I would expect a dunfell branch to
> > be maintained in meta-arm.
>
> The dunfell branch is planned to be a stable branch.   Only bug fixes,
> no features.  If an exception is to be made (which I really, really
> don't want to do), then it would be predicated on getting the relevant
> parts into the master branch of meta-arm.

Thanks for the details!

> > > I've got several patches in the pipeline that I'm testing and wanted to
> > > know
> > > my options.
>
> More than what you've already pushed?

Yeah, few more. Mostly fixes and cleanups for toolchain and gcc.

@ 2020-05-04 20:12     ` Daniel D?az
From: Daniel D?az @ 2020-05-04 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-arm

Hello!

On Fri, 1 May 2020 at 08:28, Jon Mason <jdmason@kudzu.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:31:57AM +0200, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 12:57 AM Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@denix.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, Jon,
> > >
> > > I had couple questions:
> > >
> > > 1. What is the time frame for branching off Dunfell?
>
> TL;DR:  Mid-May
>
> We have a chicken-egg problem with the Gem5 support and Python2.
> We've been doing all of our testing (until recently) on zeus.  This is
> because we wanted to make sure any issues we encountered were ours and
> not an upstream issue.  For dunfell, the current Gem5 support has a
> requirement for meta-python2.  To add this to our internal git repos
> and test infrastructure would be painful.  However, the upcoming
> release for Gem5 removes such a dependency.  This release is scheduled
> for May 15th.  So, we can either go through a bunch of work that will
> be thrown away or wait a couple extra weeks.  We chose the latter.
>
> As a stop gap, we are using the beta version of the new Gem5 release
> to make sure everything is in working order and we should be able to
> cut a release very quickly once it is out.

Do you have a branch for that? We're currently using the master branch
(meta-arm and meta-arm-bsp) and there are a few issues that can be
ironed out:

1) There are dependencies expressed for Python2, without the layer
depending on meta-python2. Files:
meta-arm-bsp/recipes-devtools/gem5/gem5-native.inc
  meta-arm-bsp/recipes-devtools/python/python-scons-native_3.0.1.bb
  meta-arm-bsp/recipes-devtools/python/python-scons_3.0.1.bb
Needless to say, it would be even better if the layers could be used
without Python2.

2) There are bbappends for packages that do not exist:
  /poky/meta-arm/meta-arm-bsp/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot_2019.%.bbappend
  /poky/meta-arm/meta-arm-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_4.19.bbappend

Thanks and greetings!

Daniel Díaz
daniel.diaz@linaro.org

* Re: [meta-arm] Couple questions about Dunfell
@ 2020-05-05  7:24       ` Bertrand Marquis
From: Bertrand Marquis @ 2020-05-05  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-arm