From: "Denys Dmytriyenko" <denys@ti.com>
To: Luca <magnabosco.luca@gmail.com>
Cc: <meta-ti@lists.yoctoproject.org>
Subject: Re: [meta-ti] meta-ti setup suggestions for beaglebone (SoC AM335x)
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 22:32:30 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi, Luca,

To answer your questions:

* It is always recommended to use so-called stable branches, that correspond
to Yocto release names - dunfell, zeus, etc. It is expected that master can
be broken at times due to active development. Also, we do extensive internal
testing on those stable branches and apply tags when such testing completes
successfully - i.e. internal releases. You can see those tags in the repo -
ti2020.01.00, ti2020.00.04, etc. Between those tags it is unlikely, but still
possible something may get inadvertently broken. Which is what happened for
you here, unfortunately - we were migrating from zeus to dunfell between
ti2020.00.04 and ti2020.01.00. If you are new and don't know where to start,
I'd recommend picking the latest release tag in the series - the highest third
number or no number at all, like ti2020.00=ti2020.00.04. As you can see, we
just started with ti2020.01.xx series with the first .00 tag in dunfell. Other
than that, we follow the standard Yocto Project and Open Source practices.

* There is very little difference between am335x-evm and beaglebone machines
in meta-ti. You can think of it as beaglebone being a leaner variant of
am335x-evm. The actual differences can be seen in the config files:
http://arago-project.org/git/?p=meta-ti.git;a=blob;f=conf/machine/am335x-evm.conf;hb=HEAD
http://arago-project.org/git/?p=meta-ti.git;a=blob;f=conf/machine/beaglebone.conf;hb=HEAD
They both build on top of a common ti33x.inc file that specifies the entire
SoC family. From there, beaglebone uses fewer DTBs, ttyS0 as console, no
built-in LCD/touchscreen and no UBI configuration. At some point it used own
U-boot defconfig, but that got deprecated. So, in other words, beaglebone is
a subset of am335x-evm machine. It is exactly the same BSP (kernel, u-boot,
FWs, etc.) for both of them, with just minor packaging differences.

--
Denys