* Sharing TF-A with multiple BSP
@ 2020-05-11 14:47 Joshua Watt
       [not found] ` <160E09F2270E9334.31760@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Joshua Watt @ 2020-05-11 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-arm

Continuing the outcome from a discussion that was on the OE-core mailing
list, I've started converting some of the BSP layers I work on to use
the trusted-firmware-a recipe from meta-arm as the canonical source of
ATF instead of each of the implementing their own recipe. So far this
has gone well except for one annoyance I've found: meta-arm has a layer
dependency on meta-python, specifically for the optee recipe. Normally,
this wouldn't be such a big deal, but in a ideal world there will now be
a lot of BSP layers that depend on meta-arm to provide ATF, and it seems
annoying to have to make all of those layers (transitively) depend on
meta-python.

I can think of a few possible options:

1) Do nothing because no one other than me thinks this is a problem :)

2) Use BBFILES_DYNAMIC to make optee optional based on the presence of
meta-python

3) Use PACKAGECONFIG to remove the python parts of optee (if that's even
possible). They can be automatically added back if meta-python is
present via BBFILES_DYNAMIC.

4) Remove the hard requirement of meta-python from meta-arm; it's only
needed to build optee so the users can figure it out?

Anyone else have any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,
Joshua Watt

* Re: [meta-arm] Sharing TF-A with multiple BSP
@ 2020-05-11 17:37 ` Denys Dmytriyenko
       [not found] ` <160E09F2270E9334.31760@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2020-05-11 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Watt; +Cc: meta-arm

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 09:47:49AM -0500, Joshua Watt wrote:
> Continuing the outcome from a discussion that was on the OE-core
> mailing list, I've started converting some of the BSP layers I work
> on to use the trusted-firmware-a recipe from meta-arm as the
> canonical source of ATF instead of each of the implementing their
> own recipe. So far this has gone well except for one annoyance I've
> found: meta-arm has a layer dependency on meta-python, specifically
> for the optee recipe. Normally, this wouldn't be such a big deal,
> but in a ideal world there will now be a lot of BSP layers that
> depend on meta-arm to provide ATF, and it seems annoying to have to
> make all of those layers (transitively) depend on meta-python.

Yeah, I raised this issue over a month ago - unfortunately, nobody replied
or acknowledged...

> I can think of a few possible options:
>
> 1) Do nothing because no one other than me thinks this is a problem :)

Don't flatter yourself... :) :D J/k

> 2) Use BBFILES_DYNAMIC to make optee optional based on the presence
> of meta-python
>
> 3) Use PACKAGECONFIG to remove the python parts of optee (if that's
> even possible). They can be automatically added back if meta-python
> is present via BBFILES_DYNAMIC.

I don't think those are optional - they are used during the build to
sign some parts. And also for ELF manipulations.

> 4) Remove the hard requirement of meta-python from meta-arm; it's
> only needed to build optee so the users can figure it out?
>

> Anyone else have any ideas or thoughts?

I can think of couple more options:

5) there are only 3 python modules needed - pycrypto, pycryptodomex (actually
a replacement for pycrypto, so upstream can drop first one) and pyelftools.
Could probably try to make a case of moving them to OE-Core?

6) Like optee was inside own sub-layer meta-optee within meta-linaro, can look
into separating it into meta-optee within meta-arm.

@ 2020-05-11 17:48   ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2020-05-11 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Watt, Khem Raj; +Cc: meta-arm

+ Khem

[apparently, nobody follows the list, so need to round up everyone interested] :)

Please see below for possible discussed options. IMHO, #5 would be ideal.

@ 2020-05-11 18:00     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2020-05-11 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: Joshua Watt, meta-arm

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 10:48 AM Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@denix.org> wrote:

> + Khem
>
> [apparently, nobody follows the list, so need to round up everyone interested] :)

Admittedly I don't follow and this layer shows up because I need
meta-ti just for beaglebone
which does not use optee, so not that interesting but I am on
receiving end of this.  I agree
option 5 is best and if, we could also move the recipe to meta-oe at
least that can be a lesser
common place if not core.

@ 2020-05-11 20:42       ` Joshua Watt
From: Joshua Watt @ 2020-05-11 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj, Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-arm, openembedded-core

Looping in OE-core. Specifically, would there be any push back to adding
pycryptodomex and pyelftools to oe-core?