Hi! > This may not risk an actual deadlock, since shmem inodes do not take > part in writeback accounting, but there are several easy ways to avoid > it. ... > Take info->lock out of the chain and the possibility of deadlock or > lockdep warning goes away. It is unclear to me if actual possibility of deadlock exists or not, but anyway: > int retval = -ENOMEM; > > - spin_lock_irq(&info->lock); > + /* > + * What serializes the accesses to info->flags? > + * ipc_lock_object() when called from shmctl_do_lock(), > + * no serialization needed when called from shm_destroy(). > + */ > if (lock && !(info->flags & VM_LOCKED)) { > if (!user_shm_lock(inode->i_size, user)) > goto out_nomem; Should we have READ_ONCE() here? If it is okay, are concurency sanitizers smart enough to realize that it is okay? Replacing warning with different one would not be exactly a win... Best regards, Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html